Brief advice for decoder purchasing

Nomis

After 2 days of wondering why I had a short circuit constantly reported by my sprog2, i found my pendolinos were DCC Ready, not DCC Fitted.  I thought they were chipped.  They were not.  I checked and found the dummy chips which short the train into DC mode only.

So with that solved, and with hope that I didn't damage the sprog, I need advice.

What is the best cheapest decoder for the power carriage?

what is the best cheapest decoder for the dummy carriage (lights only)?

The best answer will receive the right to buy a packet of jaffa cakes from their nearest supermarket.

As this is a Hornby forum Nomis we are bound by the site rules which clearly state we are only allowed to endorse Hornby products and not to promote other makes, so we cannot really answer your question, except to say use R8249 as a basic but limited options decoder or R8245 Sapphire as a much more sophisticated but much more eepensive decoder or TTS retro-fit kits if you want sound and it is available to suit your particular loco, which it isn't for a Pendo.

Other makes of decoder are available.

Rob

As this is a Hornby forum Nomis we are bound by the site rules which clearly state we are only allowed to endorse Hornby products and not to promote other makes, so we cannot really answer your question, except to say use R8249 as a basic but limited options decoder or R8245 Sapphire as a much more sophisticated but much more eepensive decoder or TTS retro-fit kits if you want sound and it is available to suit your particular loco, which it isn't for a Pendo.

Other makes of decoder are available.

Rob

Understood.  I think I may go for saphire for the drive cab and R8249 for the dummy car.

I don't like the modern version of Jaffa cakes! I preferred the original ones, where the whole of the back was orange jelly, and then covered with real chocolate!

😛

I never knew they were available.  I feel cheated of life.

Nomis, I suggest you check out the spec for the Sapphire and the 8249 before you make a decision on the extra cost of the Sapphire.  Certainly it is more sophisticated and will do more things, but do you need that.  The 8249 will do all of the basics you need in the power car including lights.

And having fitted the decoders, remember you have to set both to the same address, as well as maybe fitting the dummy car decoder in the power car to program it as programming sometimes doesn’t work without a motor load on the decoder.

I agree with Fishy, unless you want to play with the extra features on the Sapphire, like fuel burn, auto-ops, support for ABC, ability to tweak all the CVs including lighting brightness and special effects, but all this comes at a cost.

For basic loco running and directional lights any basic decoders from any maker will do.

Rob

I received the decoders today, they are fitted and working straight out of the box.

I need to clean the track and get it on a uber-flat surface as there are running issues, I'll keep burning it in.

Many thanks for your help.

Straight out of the box, both decoders will be on address 03.  You need to change both to another address, leaving 03 available to test the next new loco with new decoder, before changing that one too.  You should be able to do that by putting both power car and trailer on the programming track at the same time.  Glad it worked though.

Archived