ELINK

ZS

Hi

A quick one I am thinking of buying the elink set up but need to know, does the PC have to be connected to the elink at all times to run the layout or can you program the elink through the PC and the disconnect the PC to allow the elink to control the layout on its own.

Best Regards

ZS

The eLink is just a DCC interface box between PC and track. It can do absolutely nothing without being told what to do by the RailMaster (RM) software running on the PC. It has no knobs or controls on it.

The Elite however, can be controlled by the RM software as per the eLink AND it can also function stand-alone as a self contained DCC controller (it has knobs and buttons on it). However for completeness of information, the Elite is not programmed by RM. DCC features and functions that are purely specific to RM (scale speeds and automation** for example) can not be used by an Elite in stand-alone mode.

If you purchase an Elite, you can separately purchase RM software from Hattons of Liverpool for £5 (full RRP is £69). In other words you don't have to buy an eLink to get the software.

Note** 'automation' - the ability to record or manually create a program of DCC events that the layout can then reproduce. For example DCC events, such as switching points and signals and moving locomotives.

Hi

Thanks for the answers. The reason for asking was I want to set up a single track that between two reversing loops. I want the track to run automatically to switch points and allow the train to run both ways down the single track as per picture.

/media/tinymce_upload/1a56320f8cca8405b40b2d4c1d0fe59b.jpg

How is the best way to do this without breaking the bank.

As you may be able to tell i'm new to this.

Best Regards

ZS

I'm afraid to say ZS, that there are only two solutions I can think off, neither of which are going to be cheap. The first thing to understand is that the loops at each end will create a 'short circuit'. Therefore, before you do anything to automate the loco movement you have to resolve the Reverse Loop short circuit issue. Since you want this function to be automated, then that means that realistically you have to deploy a DCC control system. DCC have automatic Reverse Loop Module products available (not necessarily Hornby) that can handle this. These RLM's are not particularly cheap. There are NO 'off the shelf' automated RLM products that I am aware of for an Analogue DC layout.

Option 1) Use RailMaster & eLink plus two Reverse Loop Modules (RLM) plus an Accessory Decoder for the points. Use the automation programming feature of RailMaster to control the loco and the points, leaving the RLMs to autonomously handle the switching of the RLM track. This means of course, that a PC is required and RailMaster needs to be running on it to provide the control. However note that over time, this solution is likely to experience program creep and the loco and point switching could get out of sync. This program creep can only realistically be resolved by using Hornby "loco detection", but this product has not been bought to market by Hornby and is unlikely to be bought to market in the current Hornby financial environment.

Approximate cost using Hornby Shop pricing:

RM + eLink £99.99 (Hornby price)

Hornby R8238 RLM x 2 @£39.99 (now obsolete by Hornby) but still available with heavy discount from Hattons - see below

Hattons R8238 RLM x 2 @ £12 = £24

Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoder £47.99 (Hornby price)

Total for control elements = £171.98 (plus delivery charges, less shopping around discounts).

Option 2) Use a non Hornby solution made by DCC Specialties. Their PSX-ASCR product is a stand-alone product that combines the function of a Reverse Loop Module PLUS the switching of point solenoid motors. Two would be required. One each, on the two end loops. These units not only handle the reverse loop 'short circuit' issue, but they automatically switch the points as well. This means that you don't need to use RailMaster software or a PC to control it. You do however ideally need to have a controller capable of writing CVs to the PSX-ASCR, this would mean that you couldn't realistically use basic DCC controllers such as the Hornby Select if you wanted to have full configuration control of the product. Although I believe the default configuration should work at a basic level without a CV writing capable controller (needs to be confirmed).

PSX-ASCR Manual - as you will see in the manual, the product is not particularly user friendly and will need some setting up.

Approximate cost:

PSX-ASCR (from DCC Coastal) x2 @ £75 = £150 plus delivery

or

PSX-ASCR (from DigiTrains) x 2 @ £74.70 = £149.40 plus delivery

plus

DCC Controller capable of writing CVs - for example Hornby Elite @ £262.99 (full Hornby shop price)

Thus total approximate cost for control elements = £412.39 (plus delivery charges, less shopping around discounts). Note that a Hornby Elite can normally be purchased for less than £200 if shopping around for the best deal.

This previous post, discusses the PSX-ARSC product:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/11943/?p=1

There is an alternative third option, and that would be to do away with the reverse loops at each end and install a 'shuttle' controller board to reverse the loco direction at each end of the track. These 'shuttle' units (non Hornby) are relatively cheap and work on Analogue DC. The down side of course, is that the loco only faces forward in one direction of travel.

Just to add a bit to Chris's very good response.

1. A recent article in the Gaugemaster newsletter (available on their website) showed how to use their DC shuttle (I have one for a back and forth DC tram line) in a DCC layout scenario.

or 

2. You could modify your points for a sort of automatic operation simply by lightly spring loading them to the straight ahead position and as is used on some full size narrow gauge 'garden' railways (Bressingham Gardens in Suffolk springs to mind).

You drive ahead, round the loop and crash through the points from the reverse loop diverge direction at each end - in your case effectively making a figure of 8. You would still need the RLMs Chris spoke of to automatically change the track polarity though.

I haven't tried crash points on a 00 layout but the idea deserves a trial and may work better with some loco wheel configurations than others and how a rake would pass through remains to be seen.

Rob

In the circumstances I would go with Fozzies suggestion. Then you could just have a simple low cost DC Analogue controller and the loco would just go round in circular loops.

Unfortunately "reverse loops" are never simple and best avoided if you can.

Hi again

Just a thought regarding the points issue, the train weill only be going through the points the one way at all times is there a way to fix the points in a way that depending in the direction the train it flows through the points. i.e. gaps left that either the left or right hand wheel will guid the unit.

best regards

Hi

The thought I had was to not spring load them as Rob sugested but to permenently fix the point in a position and trim the rail to allow the unit to pass round the loop in one direction only. Would the unit jump the small gap left in the rail.

/media/tinymce_upload/7f37c73f87b66dacb85b88ccdd825a73.jpg

ZS

Just tried it with a hand pushed truck and a point held over by a very light tension spring and it works for either route.

Route A is with the point biased to straight ahead and the loco approaching will follow the loop around and down on your diagram and crash through from the diverging route back onto the single line.

Route B is with the point biased to diverge and the loco approaching will follow the diverging downwards route and crash through the points on the straight ahead route back to the single line.

I would also remove the overcentre spring from a point to make the crash through easier. You would have to try both routes to see which was the more reliable with the particular train in use. You would also have to find a suitable tension spring with enough pull to biase the point but not so much as to derail a light wagon in the train.

Failing this you are back into automation and maybe some form of sensing. I have left out the matter of DCC/DC voltage phase/polarity switching via a reverse loop module until you have settled on a working method.

Rob

As drawn with the kinks, I think it would trip over the control rail under the big arrow in the first diagram when approaching from the direction of the big arrow in the second diagram unless you are hoping to guide it through the slot. Maybe move it up to control the top rail instead then you won't be fighting with your back-to-back dimension jamming in that region. Going left would work - polarity requirements ignored for now - but coming right is going top be problematic as drawn.

The control rails may also either need to be insulated or wired to a certain polarity to avoid shorts - so draw it with red and blue rails to see where the electrical clash may be, but only way to prove the mechanics is to give it a try.

Rob

Archived