hornby elite

jolly john

Welcome John

It sounds like a dodgy connection to me. Check that the link wires are secure at the Elite terminals and at the track clip, also that the track clip is firmly and coorrectly attached if of the slide in type rather than the better push button connection type. If you have some spare wire it may be worth substituting for the existing wire in case it has a broken wire inside the insulation which can happen.

If it were a direct short the Elite would show ERROR on screen.

It may be that the controller is self protecting because there is too much load on the track, e.g. too many locos and also running auxilliary powered accessories like lights, signals, etc. If self ptrotecting I would expect the screen to go blank then when things have recovered for it to reboot, but never having overloaded mine (not enough locos) I can't say for sure, although the manual says it just shows ERROR.

You say you have updated to v1.4, did you mean v1.44 which is the latest firmware state and offers several benefits over v1.4.

Rob

@jolly john

Welcome to the Forum.

Could I suggest that you just connect your Elite to a length of track (no points) away from your main layout and see whether everything operates correctly.  Then add one Loco at a time to the track and check what happens at each stage, then report back here with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

And if a unit reset doesnt help then I would suggest downloading the firmware update again and reloading v1.44 just in case it was a dodgy download.

Then if no improvement flag it back to HCC for fettling under warranty.

Rob

and only run  two loco"s at one time - - - but how many are on the track? With DCC, ALL loco's are live and drawing power, even if they aren't moving. Only a few milliamps each, if the lights are off, but it all adds up

The Elite has a 4 amp psu. 3 amps is 4000 milliamps. A running loco takes about 500 milliamps, so two locos are drawing an amp. The controller itself uses some, so you have about 2000 milli's left for everything else.

Archived