Micro scalextric timer?

Bavo

Hi I have just purchased a micro set up, which I plan to extend and fix to a board. 

Anyway does anyone know of a timer I can purchase? Or failing that another method to record the lap times? Also if I extend the track will it lose power to the cars? Many thanks for reading this 

The only device produced specifically for Micro Scalextric is the L7702 automatic lap counter. As mechanical lap counters go, it is a very good and reliable unit. It counts from 0 to 50 laps. It is included in most sets or available separately at places like eBay and amazon.

When I use a Micro set for racing at home or at community events, I use a format where the race lasts for a minute or two minutes and we record the number of laps completed. A digital kitchen timer or coundown timer app is perfect for counting the time.

There are 1/64 scale (or HO) lap timers that were made for other HO brands and some will attach to Micro track. The best is probably the Tomy AFX Electronic Control Station, although its sensors don't always work consistently with Micro Scalextric cars. And it'll set you back at least £60+ if you can find one. So I can't really recommended that for use with Micro Scalextric.

There are custom lap timers from TrackMate and DS that are aimed at enthusiasts and clubs. They are very good, but will need sensors fitting to the track and will cost over £100 for a full system.

Another option that I'm looking at is modifying the Scalextric ARC One powerbase and sensors to use with Micro Scalextric. It has been on my 'to-do' list for the whole of 2017. The aim is to get lap counting and all the basic game-play features of the ARC app for use with Micro Scalextric. I would love to see Scalextric produce this, but a DIY version might get the ball rolling. I will post up the results here when I do have time to get this done.

As for extending the track. Yes, you will lose a bit of power for every track piece you add after the powerbase. Whether that's a big issue for you is something you'll have to decide. It is possible to add 'jumpers' - leads that go from as near to the powerbase to another track section round the circuit. I usually aim to add jumpers about every 20 feet of HO track. Anything less than 25 feet almost certainly doesn't need them.

Have fun!

Many thanks for your lengthy and detailed reply. I did research and found the normal sized Scalextric timer such as the C8045 could be modified to the Micro version.  I've since ordered one of eBay for 5 quid and see how I get on with it. 

Yes I agree the bog standard lap counter is quite good but I want to be able to play on my own and beat my own lap time.  I have two power packs so could put one in per rail? It's also good that the HO railway stuff is the same size so will make scenery etc. It will be a hobby for me

• 1 year later...

Hi...you could use a slot dragon stand alone timing system. it looks really good and they make them to fit your track, about 60 quid all in. about the same as a ninco bridge which you,l have to modify to fit. the slot dragon system times to .000 the bridges to .00 I n fact I,m saving for one now but I want the drag strip facillity as well. happy hunting.

Hi TrisWood - welcome to the forum!

Yes the Slot Dragon system is a fabulous drag racing system - and also a very good lap timer -  for HO tracks like Micro Scalextric. It requires drilling holes in the track surface for the sensors, but is otherwise easy to install. I believe there is a new version on its way that offers a bracket racing mode, making it one of the best drag racing systems available. It can also be fitted to standard 1/32 scale Scalextric track.

I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

Archived