Hornby R8238 DCC reverse loop control module

stevieedge

Thanks for your time and effort, might have ago at that solution, but got plenty of things i need to finish before then. When I do get round to it will let you know if I find something suitable and practicle

thanks again

Steve

Note solution assumes no electrical connection between wheel sets via metal bogies or chassis. 

Also, modern solution for the insulating gaps would be to 3-D print them, including underside detail for fixing to sleepers for extra durability. And when you’ve mastered that, you can also use the technique to gap the inlet track of your TT to implement the most elegant Blackbird solution to DCC conversion of the Hornby monstrosity. 

Note solution assumes no electrical connection between wheel sets via metal bogies or chassis

Valid point Fishy, that would also include passenger carriages with internal lighting via multiple wheel pickups as well.

In the event your reverse loop(s) was extensive, say a dogbone loop each end of a single link track, with each end essentially having its own layout, then you can use a Booster unit which also acts as an RLM but has its own power supply. The controller and an RLM looking after the link track and one end and the booster looking after the other end.

Rob

@Deepfat

Thank you for your compliment........I'm hopeful that my all encompassing RL tutorial will be published on the forum soon. I'm just waiting for Hornby Admin to find the time to read and approve it.

• 9 months later...

Only if you could totally guarantee 100% that only one reverse loop section is being used at any one time. This means that only one piece of rolling stock (this includes coaches and wagons as well as locos) can traverse in and out of any reverse loop section at the same time, that is protected by the same RLM. I can't see that this is going to be something that will be easy to police.

It is not best engineering practice to share more than one reverse loop section on one reverse loop module.

Follow up to my last reply above:

Stevie1501

TIP: As this is your first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of my replies above, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

To explain a little further without getting the full story from Chris’s excellent tutorial, RLMs are connected to isolated sections of track and switch the polarity (phase) of the DCC signal in the section to match an end where a train is entering or leaving.  If something then enters or leaves the other end at the same time, the RLM will be trying to switch for that too, meaning it will be switching back and forth rapidly and most likely fail to do its job, leading to an overload fault. 

If you now connect the RLM to 2 isolated sections in 2 reverse loops, you multiply the chances of the above happening as soon as you have trains operating in both reverse loops.

Archived