Help Needed with Gaugemaster DCC and Class 150 DMU

gone_fission

Hi, I recently fitted my n gauge class 150 DMU with DCC, and I had a shot at programming it, to no avail!

I would appreciate it if someone could explain, in idiots guide form, how to program this locomotive. Many thanks

If you need any further details please ask.

The Controller is a Gaugemaster Prodigy Express, and the DCC chips are Gaugemaster 6pin chips

The previous posters are correct, this is a Hornby forum. Therefore Prodigy Express users will probably be a bit thin on the ground. I don't have any experience myself of using the Prodigy either, but I haven't let that stop me from trying to offer some assistance.

You asked for assistance in an idiot's guide format, this is my attempt at providing that.

I have opened and read the online PDF user guide for the Prodigy Express at this URL.

Prodigy Express User Guide PDF

The user guide is very short at only 12 pages long, so it was not much of a read. But being so short, meant that the instructions are predominantly all text with very few illustrations. The lack of illustrations maybe the reason that you are having difficulties. Sorry I can't help with providing pictorial illustrations as I don't have a Prodigy to photograph, but hopefully I can help you to decipher the written instruction text.

At this stage, I am just going to focus on the simplest programming task. That is to change the locomotive DCC address from the default 3 that would have been configured at the factory.....more of which below.

Before trying to run, it is best to learn to walk first. So the first task with a new DCC loco / DCC Decoder purchase should be IMO to test it first on the default 3 factory default address. If the loco / decoder doesn't work on that address, then it is unlikely to accept being programmed to something different.

So first thing first, put your loco on the main track that is connected to the 'main track' terminals on the Prodigy base unit.

Now Select the default 3 address, if that has not already been selected when first powered up. 'How to' is documented in this extract below from the user guide:

/media/tinymce_upload/b191a02662aaec166adfc809e2660cc3.jpg

Once the loco is acquired as instructed above, you should be able to move the loco back and forth using the Direction Key and Throttle (Speed) Knob...see extract below:

/media/tinymce_upload/d27b23876566542e795e1758324fc580.jpg

OK assuming that this aspect of basic control is all working fine, let us now consider changing the default 3 DCC address to something different. If the basic 'does it move on address 3' test doesn't work, then this needs to be fixed first before moving on to the next stage below in this tutorial.

Firstly, the 'Programming Track'. The programming output of DCC controllers provide extremely low electrical currents. This means that the slightest bit of dirt, grime or oily films on the wheels and/or rails can affect the digital programming signal from reaching the decoder. Do not use a DC Analogue power track or power clip for connecting the controller to the track, these clips need to be DCC specific connectors (granted I know that you have N gauge track not Hornby track, but the principle is the same). For a programming track I personally recommend that the programming wires from the base unit are directly soldered to the rails of the programming track piece. The 'programming' track is a standard piece of track that is completely separate from your normal layout and must not come into contact with the base unit main track output.

The user guide extract below shows where the programming track piece should be connected to the base unit.

/media/tinymce_upload/4ccbfe01b3c2bd12224d1ad21891f32a.jpg

Before trying to program the loco, clean the programming track rails and the loco wheels to ensure that they are spotlessly clean and free from grime, dirt, and oily films.

Place the loco on the 'programming' track piece and ensure the wheels are in good contact with the rails. Some gentle weight on top of the loco may help with this.

Now decide on the new address that you want to give the loco. For this example I shall use address 10. Follow the instructions below extracted from the user guide. The yellow highlight just shows that only Step 1) & 2) are required for a basic DCC Address change. Nothing could be more simpler in my view.

/media/tinymce_upload/2114f029794258403df01ffb5128b344.jpg

In Sep 1) above, you may need to press the 'Prog' button more than once to select the correct programming 'Prog Prog Track' command in the LCD display. The 'Prog' button can be pressed multiple times to select a number of different programming tasks and modes. So you need to ensure that the 'Prog Prog Track' option is the one selected and shown on the LCD display before pressing ENTER. This may be where you have been going wrong before.

So in step 2) above, enter the number 1 followed by 0 where it says "Using 0-9, enter the loco address" followed by ENTER. This should change the default 3 address to 10. If the new 10 DCC address has been accepted you should now be able to remove the loco from the 'programming' track and replace it back on the 'main track' and test it on the new 10 address.

At this stage, you do not need to follow Steps 3 and above as documented in the user guide, those steps are for more advanced users. If you can achieve just a basic address change, then you can work your way through the more advanced topics documented in the manual at a later date once your experience improves.

Review the 'Running a Loco" section further above in this post on 'How to' select DCC Address 10 and run the loco on that address when placed back on the main track.

If this idiot's guide tutorial doesn't work for you, then you have a deeper problem that I can't give further assistance on.

PS - PLEASE DO NOT USE THE BLUE BUTTON TO REPLY TO THIS POST. My reply is a long one and it will be re-quoted unnecessarily if you use the blue button. Write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply text box' at the bottom of the page and click the green 'Reply' button.

Archived