OL error code

Elliot1982

Hi everyone 

Purchased the latest select controller. 

Ive got issues with OL code repeatedly coming up. Initially it seemed to be over points as the train went over them but now at anytime all trains are running. 

Its 3 loop circuit with points connecting each loop, ive used the supplied power connector on the 3rd loop then used hornby points pins to make the track live... Admit not all points just to make each section live.

Before I made loop 1 and 2 live the same issue arose although not very often. I'm running three trains now. All DCC.

Thoughts and ideas? 

Select can only deliver 1 amp of power to the track, so three loco's with lights all running at once might be one too many. (One modern loco takes typically 400 milliamps - 500 being half an amp, Old analogue loco's converted to DCC can draw 1 amp each!).

You say you have used a track clip for one loop. Pop the cover off, and make sure it is a DCC one, and not a dc. If there is a little electronic 'thingy' connected across the wires, snip it off, and see what happen then!

OL - overload - indicates there could be a short circuit somewhere, too, so check your wheel spacing (on ALL the wheels, including the trucks and coaches!) - 14.5mm, I think - it has been said often enough! Also check inside the check-rails on the points, to see if there's a bit of debris in there that is giving intermittent bother. Use good lighting, and if need be, a magnifying glass!

You have got the power clip the right way around compared with the other two loops, and not reversed? To check - designate one rail of the outer loop of track as the 'red' rail, and wheel a scrap truck or something around, with one side marked with a red tag, and without lifting it off the track, see if the wiring of the inner loop matches up (follow the 'red' wire from the outer to the middle, and then the inner loop).

It always helps if you use different coloured wires (ie red and green) for inner and outer rail of EACH loop of track, rather than the supplied all black wires! It makes tracing this kind of error that much easierl!

Apart from what Eric has said, the Select itself will also consume some of the 1 Amp current. If the DC Suppression capacitors ["little electronic thingy's" as Eric put it] are present in the track power clips (not required for DCC working). They will be passing some of the DCC current through them too. The DC Suppression capacitors must be removed for DCC working on ALL the power clips & power tracks and especially if more than one power clip / track is connected to the track, else they will affect the DCC digital signal.

hornby points pins to make the track live.

I assume you mean Hornby R8232 Point Power Clips and not "pins".

Hornby’s information suggests modern locos draw a max of 250mA rather than Eric’s 400mA, maybe 300mA with lights. It will depend with older locos but more typically 500mA up to Eric’s 1Amp in some cases.

Are your locos modern or older? 

All that said, it certainly seems like you are drawing too much current from the Select, despite what it’s advertised to do.  Let’s try a little testing to check it out.

First, starting with all 3 locos on the layout, run just one at higher speed all over the layout and see if you get any OLs.  If not, repeat with all 3 combinations of two locos running.  Any issues now?  Note if you get problems, are they still on points.  I’m thinking shorts if so, which would mean checking the back-to-back measurements of all wheels on any loco causing such problems. 

If if they are still working to here, now run all 3 locos very slowly and see how you go.  If all ok slow, run them gradually faster.  If everything goes ok until you speed them up, then I think you can conclude they are just drawing too much current between them. 

Let us us know how you go.

Morning 

Yes clips rather than pins. 

The test went well, three trains, different speeds and sounds on one and all fine. It could have just been a Friday of all day modelling and the controller (me) not concentrating all the job.

I have noticed over one point my class 66 is derailing and causing the OL error. I'll check that out at some point.

Just to also advise all trains are new. The power connection is also DCC new from Amazon. 

One question: Do I need to have clips on every point?

Regards 

Elliot 

One question: Do I need to have clips on every point?

That's the idea. To make the whole track live. I suppose in reality if you have no locos with either sound or lights, then you could leave them parked on dead sidings. But even in those situations, the clips do have a slight benefit in that they take away the total reliance of the contact between the moving switch and fixed stock rails for electrical conductivity.

Just be awaare that these thin wire clips are only meant to provide continuity across a point to a siding or two, not to provide power to a larger section of tracks, for which you should either connect using link wires or install a bus wire system.

Rob

Bold statement Rob.  I agree that use of a bus is best practice but I’m surprised you haven’t fanned the flames and stirred the hornets in the bus v single connection and burning points debate.  We know that quite a few on here have successfully run large DCC layouts over long periods with just a single connection and point clips. 

Fishy

Some people have stated they run a large layout using one clip and points clips, but we have no idea of the traffic load on these layouts.

When those point clips overheat you need to fan them - to cool them down.

Would you want to for instance be transferring power to a large fan of fiddle yard sidings via a springy bent staple in all the lead-in points. I certainly wouldnt.   A pity we don’t have a diagram of the layouts fed beyond the point where those reported instances of overheating occurred (Where is Yelrow when you need him).

Even my tiny 6’ x 4’ has a bus wire system and points clips for reliability.

Rob

Archived