Multiple powerbases on large set up?

Coaster

hi there

i have recently made my first foray into the world of scalextric having been firmly in the model railway camp as a child (definitely due to my dad buying a model railway ostensibly for me)

I have the arc pro powerbase running four cars (hope to move to six pending adequate power distribution) - but I have a few of my previous digital powerbases still. 

>>> My question is whether I can use the old 4 car digital powerbases purely to add some extra power on larger tracks (instead of using the power booster cables that clip to the underside of the track) <<<

Many thanks for any advice in this area 

Tom

Hi Tom - I really wouldn't recommend you try that! The two bases are wired differently to the track, so the outcome is not going to be a happy one 😮

First thing to maximise the power to the track is to have two C7024 / P9300 (or local equivalent) 15V, 4 Amp power supplies plugged in to your ARC Pro powerbase - as suggested in the instructions. The ARC Pro upgrade kit come with one power supply, the Platinum set comes with two. The C7024 was the power supply that came with my 4-car powerbase, so check yours and that could be handy if you just have the upgrade kit.

Second tip is to keep the track rails clean and tidy, with good connections between each piece to make sure the track power and the digital signal is strong and consistent. There are some good track maintenance tips here: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance

Most Scalextric digital enthusiasts (including me) swear by INOX MX3. It is an Australian lubricant with excellent anti-moisture and anti-corrosion properties. Just a drop on the braids of a car at the start of a racing session will clean up the track and keep the cars running reliably. It is easy to get in Australia, New Zealand and North America, but tricky in the UK. It's possible to import a 60ml bottle for about £18 - it'll last you many years and enhance your Scalextric digital experience no end. Sometimes there is a group order via Slot Forum.

Finally, if you are planning a big permanent layout, then the power boosters (or 'jumpers') are a good idea. They must be installed carefully - one rail near the powerbase being connected to exactly the same rail at the other side of the circuit. Starting with the two powers supplies, good track maintenance, then adding INOX and power taps - that should prevent any potential power issues.

Have fun!

Hi Tom,

The ARC PRO must be the only (!) powerbase in the circuit as it handles power differently than previous powerbases.

The good news is you can use the power packs from your 4-car power powerbases to provide extra power. Assuming (!) you cehck the stats on the power pack and they match with the power pack you got with your ARC PRO (Volts, amps, etc.)  Anything over 3-4 cars will need 2 pwoer packs (hence why ARC PRO has 2 power inputs).

If you are unclear post some pictures of what you have and we can help further.

I'm having a problem on a large set up where one controller is powering both lanes. It seems as tho it's arced somewhere but can't see anything at all anyone got any ideas ? /media/tinymce_upload/6f0177e09054db1baed5d5f750690047.jpg

There are three possible sources of your whoes:

1. There could be some bit of metal touching multiple rails.

2. Most likely the multiple powerbases you have might be causing some cross-talk. The only with the grey border would be my guess. You should replace those with standard half straights. If you can't get the straights try taking them out of the layout or if you don't need them to be used as powerbases crack them open and gut them of their wires.

3. Less likely there is something inside the crossroads section you have. Very rarely there can be something loose inside causing cross-talk / arcing.

Thanks very much for the responses - glad I asked before just trying it!  yikes!

I will probably work on fixing the booster cables in a bit more of fixed way, as they seemed a little loose.

It would be great to find some sort of solution that could incorpoate multiple powerbases so the power is being fed to the tracks via another transformer as aposed to via the booster cables.

I also took out the cross-over corners as they seemed to be messing with the power as well, not sure if anyone else has experienced that?

My concern is that even with racing just 4 cars it seems the power was a little variable - wondering if racing 6 cars when my two additional controllers (currently on order and apparently not available until May!!) will even be feasible?

/media/tinymce_upload/d6f89d721a58d7ce5b2fd99f2e2a5d3c.JPG

Archived