New to Sound Decoders Class 67

SFB

Hi everyone, I am very new to DCC trains and was lucky enough to be bought the R3399 EWS Freight Tain pack which is DCC ready. I also have another TTS loco and wanted to upgrade the EWS to full sound. I have got the new Hornby Clss 67 decoder but am a little scared at installing it as Hornby mentioned I need to do a modification? I honestly thought you just plugged it in to the loco but it seems its more involved. I can not find anywhere how do do this or where to fit the speaker. Please help!

Do the instructions say what the modification is, that you need to do?

I can't see it being anything drastic - most probably removing the round speaker, and fitting a 'sugar-cube' one, so it will fit in the space under the dummy vent fans. (You will need to solder the connections).

The decoder itself literally just plugs in, after you have removed the blanking plug that allows the loco to run on dc volts. Make sure you plug it in the right way around! You won't harm anything if you get it backwards, it just won't work in the way you expect.

Eric - the instructions are so generic they have to cover every loc not just the 67 so very little help.

SFB - Look on RM Web DCC Sound forum at Richard Crofts sound fitting page where he covers the Class 67 conversion.

The problem is you would normally have to desolder the speaker wires, feed them down past the chassis gubbins to the fuel tank area which is the logical place for the speaker, then resolder the feeds to the speaker. Not the easiest of conversions it seems, but Richard finds space topside for his speaker.

/media/tinymce_upload/56f908d6822fb44410de860e7385d696.jpg

Keep an eye on the forum in near future for a sticky giving more info about installing TTS retro-kits.

Rob

Hi SFB,I completed one of these this week!As suggested by Rob, the hardest part is that you need to desolder the wires from the board, feed them through and then resolder them.  Rather than doing this, I chose to cut the wires to the speakers in such a place that I could subsequently feed them through the chassis and then solder the2 halves together.

The wires are extremely fine but it worked first time and the chip sounds great.  You can see in the first image below where I chose to cut/rejoin the speaker wires.  The speaker is fixed using the screws that were supplied with the decoder - the screw holes were already there on my version which was bought in 2013 - well done Hornby for this foresight.  Hornby suggests selotape to insulate the decoder and I used a piece of insulating tape to hold the sound decoder in place once I'd joined the wires. It's still a very tight fit getting the decoder under the roof. The second image shows where the speaker wires ar fed through the chassis.  I undid the 2 screws holding the mother board in place, fed the wires through and then replaced the mother board/screws.I hope this helps.

Simon

/media/tinymce_upload/b554b8ee4c06e5aebebb7e1a2e5386b4.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e66ebb3567c93e62df698fce4c997b18.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/2293ee9f6fa82e612a942fd6f771f63f.JPG

Eric

The diesels are simple - either bags of room or no room, its the steam locos which are problematic there being so many variants and little standardisastion these days. Older locos at least were more akin under the skin.

Rob

Eric, if you want to see for yourself how vague the TTS instructions are, you can see them here:

https://www.hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Fitting-a-Decoder-Outlined.pdf

Note: Clicking the link above does not at first glance appear to do anything, but after clicking it, check your nominated 'download' folder and you should find the PDF saved there. The link doesn't open the PDF on screen to view.

Broken link, Chrissaf - I get -

404 Page Not Found We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found.

• If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
  • If you clicked on a link to get here, we must have moved the content.Please try our store search box above to search for an item.
  • If you are not sure how you got here, go back to the previous page or return to our store homepage.

-

and going via hornby support doesn't lead to any obvious TTS installation guides.

How strange Eric, it did work when I tested it at the time of posting.

EDIT: After a bit of testing. I found that the forum software was changing the original posted URL after the post edit timer expired, and was adding an extra "/uk-en/" folder in to the URL after the .com. This "/uk-en/" folder was not in the original URL when I posted the link. Thus at the time of posting, the link worked, but didn't work after the edit timer expired. How odd. Probably got something to do with the Hornby website automatically tracking what country you reside in and modifying the URLs accordingly to match.

Try this instead and then click the download link to the "Installation Guide" in the 'Description' section on the page.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/tts-sound-decoder-a4.html

Archived