Where are the TTS sound files?

Nictor

After watching numerous "review" videos of TTS equipped Hornby engines on YouTube, I have come to the conclusion that the big problem with the "chuff rate" is no real-time  connection between the chuffs and the locomotive speed. One "good thing" I noticed (I think) is, on speed step one or two, the chuffs seem fairly accurate. That IS where it would be most noticeable if it was way off! I can see where this would be "acceptable" to a lot of people. If I could get the TTS A4 kit as cheaply as you guys in the UK, I would still consider it. Here in the US, I would spend nearly $60.00 plus shipping from the uk, which is not too far from the cost of an "Econami" decoder over here! I just gotta find one with some British sounds on it! What would I do without the "fireman's breakfast"...?

I am a big fan of TTS decoders, which let's face it, are about a third of the price of the nearest competitor preloaded with sound and with a speaker.

I have now 9 TTS locos, and honestly, by the time the second loco is running you will not be counting rivets, sorry, counting how many chuffs per wheel revolution. Horses for courses, at the price they add fantastic reality to your layout.

With regard to the sounds available, I would say on average I only use about 3 or 4 sounds on a regular basis, probably even less on steam locos! Though it is nice with RailMaster to programme an automatic start up and stop sequence, especially with diesel locos. (The Railroad TTS class 31, although a baragin with great sounds, is however a poor loco. I will be removing the TTS chip and speaker and installing it in a decent model, (when i find one....), then sell the railroad one)

So my personal opinon and advice is don't even worry about previewing the sounds, bite the bullet and go for it! I'm pretty sure if you are looking at TTS and not the big boy crazy price decoders, sometimes costing more than the loco itself,  you will be wel satisfied in terms of value for money.

Agreed Michael

I find that once the wheels are turning the steamer chuff rate doesn't matter. I really like the TTS diesels as you can drive them like a real one.

That said once 2 or more of these things are making a racket in a small room I tend to start switching them off one by one.

I wish I could the same with noisy drive mechanisms.

Rob

That said once 2 or more of these things are making a racket in a small room I tend to start switching them off one by one.

That's why I tend to have the volumes set quite low. That way, only the loco passing by in front of me is the one you hear. The ones passing at the back of the layout are effectively drowned out, or near silent. One of those situations where 'less is more'.

Archived