1:72 Defiant

Sailorman

Still suffering from AMS even after having built a few waggons to go with my saddle tank  I decided I wasn't up to starting my next scratchbuilt ship.  I therefore decided to build the 1/72 Defiant as a night fighter.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised with this kit.  I haven't built any planes for ages and I was used to very basic models.  You know the type .....having a simple seat and nothing else in the cockpit, raised panel lies etc.  This kit was a relevation.  It went together over a period of 4 days with hardly any problems ....except for an attack by the carpet monster but he only got away with one of the mud scrapers ........tomorrow the u/c will be fitted.   The biggest problem I have is the sheer number of decals that have to be applied.......lots of tea required methinks!  Will post pics when it is done.  

Had such stress-free fun building it I'll certainly build some more.

I think once this is done it will be back to the ships!!/media/tinymce_upload/8fcf76eff111499ef65bc2d05bdf6533.jpg

After 2 evenings of work I've finally fixed all the decals .....I've never seen a plane with so many!  Still some touching up to do and final sealing with satin finish lacquer but almost there! Had a few "accidents."

Broke one of the turrent guns

Broke one of the stays supporting the main landing gear leg

Lost a mudscraper to the carpet monster.

Still can't really grumble .... all fixable.

I did have one problem and that was with the roundel on the fuselage. It has two letters on one side and one on the other.  I fixed the Port one first and when I came to fix the Starboard one the roundels didn't lie opposite each other.  That meant I had to slide the startboard decal further aft than I wanted to.  This in turn meant the double letters were also too far aft.  Clearly the Port decal was too far aft and this caused the problem! ....... not immediately obvious at least.   Next time I'll fix the Starboard fuselage roundel first!

I have noticed lately that the double squadron code letters are creeping towards the cockpit side on the port side

when the roundels are placed correctly. I think this is with the letters now being represented as the correct size (30") where as previously they were 'scaled down to fit'. But when you get used to it, it does look more authentic.

But looks like you have done a good job, looking forward to the finished photos

Archived