DCC conversion Thomas the tank...

gazzabj

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle as I am back modelling again after a 30 year break.

Thanks to my 3 year olds interest in model trains, I am (very slowly) putting together a DCC layout of Thomas and friends. I converted

my first loco (James) to dcc which is working great.

However, the conversion instructions for Thomas on the Hornby site dont seem to fit for the version of Thomas I have.

When you remove his body shell, the connections and wires are not the same

as shown in the sample pictures.

I really want to convert Thomas next so I wondered if anyone else has had the same issues and knows what needs to be done to convert.

I will provide a picture of him if someone can help?

Thanks for reading

and I hope someone can help.
Gary

On mine it was a hard wire job. unsolder the leads that go to the motor, unsolder or cut off the capacitors on the motor, usually 3 whicch go between the brush terminals and the motor. Now solder the red lead from the decoder to to the left hand wheel

pickup lead, solder the black decoder lead to the right wheel pick up lead. Solder the orange decoder lead to the brush that the left lead originally came off and the grey to the right brush. tuck the decoder into a convinient location and put body back on.

As an extra point. I have just looked at Devious Diesel (also Thomas) and he has the same wiring layout as Thomas.

Really hope someone can help :o)

I have also contacted Hornby CS now, so await their reply too.

Gary

John,

So thankful to have someone explain to me. But, I am not an electrician and without having the step by step guide I am not 100% sure I understand it all.

I dont have a multimeter, but I understand they are only around £5-£6 so I will

get one, but I need a bit more of an in depth guide if you can please.

Sorry to sound so stupid, but this is new to me. I have now succesfully converted both Gordon and James using the guides on the Hornby site, so I really need something along those

lines if possible.

Thanks again for any help so far and your patience.

Gary

Hi John again :-)

Just got a reply from Hornby Cust Services and they made the following statement...

This is an old 'English' Hornby Thomas, you can convert this to DCC but it won't work very well. There is no exact guide in how to

do this. I have attached information that will be helpful to you. Also the link provided shows a general guide of the decoder wiring (at bottom of web page).

The information they attached is a word document with lots of detail about the pro's and con's

of converting old trains. I can supply a copy to anyone who wants it.

My concern now is whether to go ahead with the conversion as they state, it wont work very well.

Any thoughts on this?

Gary

Well here is the link to the file supplied by the Hornby CS team.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29033159/Guide%20to%20Fitting%20DCC%20Decoders.docx

I dont know if this is available anywhere else, it probably is!

I am happy to continue trying

to convert Thomas with your help but I am now going away for 2 weeks for a well earned holiday. I'll be back on here around 12th or 13th July so keep an eye out.

In the meantime I used my last decoder on Emily who was DCC ready. So I need to get a few

more nbefore I can restart on Thomas, but I will definately give it a go.

I do have an Elite controller, which I am glad to say only cost me £135 brand new! So whatever it takes, although writing CV's also means something new to learn I'm afraid.

Will

catch up when I'm back. Thanks for all your help once again, you are all very patient :o)

Gary

Archived