Hornby compatibility

senior.moments

I have just returned to model railway engineering and how it has changed. Putting together a DCC layout and modifying DC and DCC ready loco for use, some with sound.I bought a R8107 Hornby Digital Sound Decoder for my newly acquired DCC ready 60163 Tornado.I managed to identify the white marks on the decoder and receiving plate, minute they are but its the wiring thats the problem.The decoder can go into the chimney recess but the speaker wires are no way long enough to reach the tender. Is it expected that the user extends these wires? Also, the tender is fitted with 3 metal plates to add ballast. Should the speaker be isolated from these as the steel could effect the speaker magnets?

Yes - extend the wires.

Before you do, though, make sure the speaker will fit into the tender! The supplied round one is often too big - this is a common complaint.

The metal weights in the tender will not affect the speaker, though you may have to discard one, or cut it up, to get A speaker in!

Thanks for your quick response. The speaker just goes into the tender so its just a case of extending the wiring. Shame they don't make a more compact speaker unit that could fit in ithe loco.

They make it all sound so easy but it's not, several of my locos, especially with split chassis will, I hear, be a problem!

Now time to try programming!!!

Shame they don't make a more compact speaker unit that could fit in ithe loco.

Many on here don't use the Hornby TTS speaker. They replace it with a sugar cube 8 ohm 1W speaker that will fit in the loco.

Any speaker that is 8 ohms and 1W (1 watt or higher) is compatible with the decoder, that's why I mentioned those specifications in my earlier reply. Once you have noted the 8 ohm / 1W (or >1W) speakers and added them to your shortlist, then it is just a case of checking their dimensions against the space available in the loco, to select the optimum replacement.

Archived