Decoder incompatibility with Hornby Elite

Lt Cmdr Datas Cat

Are there any known imcompatibility issues with certain manufacturers decoders and the Elite so best to steer clear of? I read somewhere that a few people had found issues with some newer Bachman decoders and their control system, not necessarily the Elite though. Might just have been a couple of duff chips and people were unlucky.

RAF96 is the best person to answer this one, but to the best of my recollection, there were some Bachmann decoders that had issues. I believe that those issues were resolved with the Elite firmware 1.44 upgrade (which I think you have now upgraded to). In general and in my opinion, of all the Hornby DCC controllers, the Elite offers the best all round compatibility with non Hornby decoders. I can't remember which one now, but there was a European (not Bachmann) decoder that seemed problematic. But this decoder was little used in the UK.

The Elite also supports Reg, Paged & Operate programming modes, in addition to Direct mode. This means that decoders that are problematic using Direct mode, can usually be configured successfully using one of the other modes instead.

I can only agree with Chris adding that as Hornby becomes aware of any incompatibility they improve the Elite firmware to accont for these decoders.

The same goes for eLink as can be seen by the new drop down list for loco decoders in CV7 and the range of Acc Decoders listed.

Examples are some Bachmann, Hattons, Laisdcc and others.

Please post the exact make and model number of any decoder you are worried about and this can be flagged back to Hornby and/or HRMS for comment.

Rob

Hi, new to the forums but thought might be worthwhile flagging up a comparability issue with the new Dapol Imperium 21 pin decoder which comes with the Dapol DCC fitted Class 68 locos. Would not work with my Elite running version 1.44. Could not read, write to or reset the decoder. Contacted seller who advised may be a compatibility issue with Elite and returning this for non DCC version and will look to find a decoder for this loco that will work with the Elite. Must have been lucky, but this is the first loco / decoder in almost 5 years that has not worked with the Elite.

@James...........might be worth reporting your findings to Dapol to prompt them into ensuring that their decoder is compatible with the Elite for their own future benefit...........HB                                              

Another forum is reporting a distinct lack of info about this decoder from Dapol including lack of a simple list of CVs, etc.

My opinion is the incompatability is at the Dapol end of the DCC loop, confirmed by a latest post from another forum with the member saying his decoders have been found to have solder bridges.

Rob

Archived