Coding Locomotives from one dcc system to another

Jackal

Good evening. I have finally had the opportunity of running RM via eLink, though having had the system for a couple of years. Having experienced teething troubles installing and running the sytem, it was with the good and grateful help from the forum that I finally managed to get it operational. I wondered if there was any difficulty in coding a locomotive on RM having previously coded it on the Bachman EZ Command Centre. Which, incidentally, though very basic, I have found an excellent system. At present, I only have 2 locomotives with decoders installed, both working very satisfactorily on EZ. Locomotives are a Hornby Class 08  and a Bachman Ivatt Class 4. I’ve tried to code both on my RM test track, with the 08 working satisfactorily but the Ivatt unfortunately, not responding. Could this possibly be due to a conflict of interests between 2 different dcc systems or am I possibly missing some basic coding operation? I’d be very grateful for any possible advice please? Many thanks. Chris. 

@Jackal.........the decoder in the Ivatt may well be a Bachmann which will be NMRA compliant so should be no problem.......have you tried a reset by writing 8 to CV8, this will reset the decoder to #03 which you can then test on the running track.......if ok then program back to # you want.........HB

You shouldn't have any problems moving between controllers as after all many people run trains at home and take them dowen their local model rail;way club and run them there.

All the decoder does is listen for someone shouting its name and telling it what to do next in an agreed language, the binary words for which are set in concrete by the NMRA, so that any compliant controller and decoder can communicate with each other.

As stated above the first step if a decoder is playing up is to reset it via CV8.

You don't need to recode them in RM, just list them in the loco table telling RM their addresses and away you go.

Rob

Archived