Car performance

Hairos

Do some of you find some cars perform better than others? 

Ive got a few cars now and it seems the best runners are my two BMW e30 s. Demon tweeks and the Jim Richards touring cars. Also a couple of minis and sierras are impressive.

Im into btcc,and I'm not that impressed with the way some of the new cars handle or sound. Particularly the Honda civics. They seem to come off around corners way to easy. 

Im pretty sure some cars are faster as well,am I imagining that or what's the deal?

Can anyone recommend cars that are good on track?

Looking at collecting all the BMW e30s and ford sierras as they seem to perform best.

Dan

Hi Dan. Yes, different models of cars will handle differently and different examples of the same model won't be indentical in the way they perform on track. I think running similar cars, like the BMW E30 and Sierra is always a good way to go. A little tuning should help too, like this: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/five-top-tuning-tip-for-christmas

A big factor in performance differences between models is the magnetic downforce - a model (eg the BTCC Civic) that has its magnet close the track will always handle better and beat other cars (eg the BMW125, MG6 & Passat) that are less 'stuck down'. One way that a lot of racers get round this is to take out the traction magnet and add a little ballast (eg lead sheet, say 5g at the front, 10g near the motor). The cars will behave differently and more equally - many people find them more rewarding to drive and to race. Another way to go is to add more magnet to the other cars to give them the same grip as the Civic.

There is more discussion about this issue over on another thread: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/need-help-with-new-car/

Hope that helps and gives you food for thought 😉

Try silicones on losers and leave stock tires on winners.

Usually rule of thumb is if downforce is equal or even non existent, the shorter distance from guide to rear axle will corner better.

Also sidewinders usually rule over inline.

Archived