R8247 Accessory Decoder

Mick1968

Hi Forum a mate of mine is having problems programing his r8247 accessory decoder usin the gaugemaster prdigy advance 02 for dcc, he  said he just cant get it to program and.

please can someone give me step by step on how to do this please

thank you in advance

The Hornby R8247 can be programmed using the CV513 method (see the R8247 user guide downloadable from here near bottom of the page). Now in the GaugeMaster Prodigy Advance user guide  'Contents' page, it mentions Programming Accessory Decoders using CV513 as being documented in Section 2.11 of the Prodigy guide. But Section 2.11 of the guide is just a few lines long and absolutely no mention of CV513 is made in that section whatsoever.

In fact there is nowhere in the Prodigy manual where any instructions are to be found for the method of programming Accessory Decoders. It says it can be done using the 'Prog' and 'Accessory' keys on the handset, but doesn't go into any further detail of how to use those buttons.

I think your friend might get more effective support by asking GaugeMaster direct about how to do CV513 programming.

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering purchase of 5 new Hornby R8247 Accessory decoders as I have 25 points on my layout.

I thought that each single Accessory decoder supported connection of 4 points, but I have also read elsewhere that you can wire points to operate together, as perhaps a pair.

Am I correct in thinking that if I wish to convert 25 points to point control with digital, that I will need to purchase 5 of these R8247 units, or can I get away with buying fewer?

Thanks

Just to be totally clear.

If you wire two points to a single port on a R8247 Accessory Decoder, BOTH point motors will operate together. You CAN'T connect two point motors to a single Accessory Decoder port and switch each of the two point motors individually.

So the number of Accessory Decoders you need to buy will depend upon how many of the 25 points you have, need to operate in PAIRS.

For example, my own layout has 17 points but only three R8247s (a total of 12 ports). Five of my ports operate a pair of points configured as cross-overs. Thus I have 10 point motors sharing 5 Accessory Decoder ports in pairs, plus 7 Accessory Decoder ports wired to a single point motor. Therefore 10 plus 7 gives the 17 point motor total and 5 plus 7 gives the 12 Accessory Decoder port total.

Try programming the group address in as opposed to the port address, e.g 16 is the same as 61, 62, 63 & 64 If you are having problems programming Hornby PADs (point and accessory decoders). 

Whilst Hornby has officially declared that the R8247 should only be used to fire one solenoid motor per port, experience of many users has proven two solenoids can be reliably fired together as a pair.

The R8247 has a hefty set of capacitors inside...

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/de3f73756e5df60ae9f597726f2140e9.png

Archived