dcc select problem

happy chap

Hi

The loco decoder is I feel either defective or more likely is 'seeing' the full rail volts always present regardless of actual speed setting on the DCC console. Rail volts are typically 13 to 15 volts. It then speeds off at full top speed thinking the rail volts are DC full power.

The way to stop this is to alter a CV setting to turn off the DC operation mode- CV29 setting it to a value of 2 or 34 where long four digit addressing is used.  Unfortunately AFAIK the Select cannot do this alteration, so you would have to find someone with a more up market DCC system and get them to turn off the DC operation.

It sounds like DC runaway to me, which as FB says you can’t adjust for with a Select at present time, but you can select loco zero (analogue loco) and move the speed knob up and back firmly to stop. If loco zero (even if you don’t have one) is throttled up it can affect DCC locos. Worth trying it.

Rob

I think you've all missed this important bit - purchased in 2008

TEN year old brand new Select - badly needs updating! You will have to send it back to Hornby, as Select cannot be updated on-line.

Also -

it will set off at fast speed when put back on again, even though speed setting is on slow. - - You MUST turn the speed controller right down to ZERO before re-railing, or the decoder will 'see' corrupted data, switch to dc mode - and it will take off like a greyhoud out of the trap.

Archived