Adjusting CV values in Railmaster

Having read loads of useful stuff on the forum (thanks again), I decided yesterday to start reading the CV values from my locos into Railmaster on my laptop.  Very handy to be able to see everything stored once they've been captured, although takes some time!

I found the method (using my Elite) quite slow and would sometimes error on reading and then re-read and it was fine.  Later on, I decided to connect the new eLink I had, up to my laptop instead and just had a connection to the Prog output and track - this read them very quickly.

Much of my DCC converted Ringfield motor stock has had a Hornby R8249 decoder added into a Gaugemaster socket, but I have done nothing with adjusting any speed rates, acceleration, deceleration etc.  The decoder will still be using the standard 'out of the box' Hornby settings for all of my collection.

What and how should I go about adjusting to compensate for some of the older, slower motors from within Railmaster? Just some pointers would be very useful. I also don't want to cause or mess up too much if I tinker with the wrong things!

Thanks

The problem you have with the R8249 decoder is there is very little you can adjust.

Other decoders generally you can reduce bemf CV10 and in some cases drop it to zero which can improve stuutering. TTS decoders you have a couple of built in motor regimes in CV150 and the associated CV151-154 which allow fiddling of the motor P and I values - see earlier forum discussions about PID motor control.

Mostly its about good maintenance so a motor regardless of type runs well to start with.

TIP when writing new values using RM stripe the existing value and delete it or backspace the whole value out then type in the new value and write using the pencil icon. I have found if you just backspace say 1 digit and enter the new one it doesn’t always work. You can amend several values then write the lot at once. If you have Pro-pack you can print out each CV list for reference.

Rob

Archived