NR HST Dummy Car Lights

Lemmon

I have had my Network Rail HST for a few years and i have installed 2 DCC Chips (One in each car) and plan in getting sound when they are released. I had removed the body shell of the dummy car to add electrical tape to keep the wires for the decoder out of sight and to insulate it, I replaced the shell and put it on the track. I pressed F0 (the lights) and discovered the dummy car tail lights, headlights and cab lights were not working. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Sound decoders: (https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/power-control/tts-sound-decoders/twin-pack-tts-sound-decoder-class-43-mtu.html)

Before you opened up the car to add the additional insulation tape did it all work OK?

It's one thing to chase a fault where something used to work and now doesn't, as opposed to something that has never worked after installing the decoder.

Do the lights rely on sprung contacts between the body and the chassis to make electrical contact. If so, have they been bent or put out of alignment (a common fault).

If it was me, I would be focusing my efforts on those sprung connectors. Many times I have seen sprung connectors that looked fine, but did turn out to be the culprit in the end.

Hi Lemmon and welcome to the Forum,

Lights not working often means that the Decoder is connected the opposite way round, although you didn't say that you had unplugged it.

I presume you managed to address both TTS decoders to the same address.

A quick check if you have successfully readdressed all the loco is to try the lights on address 3 and if they work then the dummy car readdress didnt work.

Rob

Can you solder the wires straight to the pins and bypass the copper plate?

Of course you can. But I suggest including a micro-connector in the wires for two reasons:

1) It allows the body to be more easily removed again if access is needed.

2) The wires can be made shorter and more easy to hide if they don't need to be long enough to allow future body removal.

These might make suitable micro connectors.

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Micro_Connectors.html

Archived