Possible causes for Lima Railcar problem

RDS

Hi, I run 6 gw Lima railcar but one of them keeps stopping for a second or two then off it goes I have a bus system track and all my other locos run fine including my hornby ones any ideas please as to the cause 

Thanks 

Depends who's decoder you have fitted, as some makes (not Hornby) have been reported recently as having a new ‘feature’ whereby if the track supply is interrupted the decoder stops the loco then brings it back to the original speed at whatever accelleration rate you have configured in CV3. Not everyone is happy with this feature.

This may be what is happening to your Railcar.

Rob

it is possible the decoder is shutting down detecting an motor overload ,

what is the current rating of your hattons decoder ? can a higher value decoder be fitted and tested.can you measure the current of this loco ? perhaps service the motor ,

could you have a loose connection on the pick ups /wiring .

dirt on the wheels / track.

perhaps swap decoders with one that "works ok " see if the fault moves ?

Depending upon how old the Hattons clone decoders are then that may be a ‘characteristic’.

Ask their live chat if it is a pucka feature of that decoder, but be aware they may blame your Hornby loco, Hornby controller, Hornby mother-in-law, etc.

Rob

Re Jane’s suggestion, these decoders are rated at 1.1 Amps so should be ok.  Worth doing a stall current test to check though. See Brian Lambert site for how to do this, you need an ammeter that will handle at least 2 Amps.

Archived