My RAF MT Fleet

I beg indulgence from Admin and the Mods. I have been asked if I might share my 1/72 and 1/76 vehicle collection that I've been building up for a few years. Please feel free to delete this post if it pushes the envelope too far. 

As a sideline to my overall 1940 obsession, I have always wanted to try and provide accurate and suitable vehicles that might serve for potential dioramas and photographic set dressing. I've already shown a few that have been built from Airfix kits and parts, but there are several that inevitably have come from third party kit makers. It's quite interesting how hard it can be to find suitable vehicles for the early war period, and I have to admit to becoming not a bit obsessed about sourcing things that are just right.

/media/tinymce_upload/a7ac29380443611c3cbfd86612e56226.jpg

I'll start with the general service vehicles. These were used for all kinds of things on a typical airfield. Moving a squadron around the country involved quite a collection of road vehicles, leave alone moving men and equipment about on an active airfield. Two Airfix kits are here: the Bedford MW and Standard Tilly. The latter I've painted in the pre-War RAF blue grey, and added a scratch-built tilt frame from brass wire. The Austin Forlite saloon is an Ace kit, intended as a military staff car but I painted it as a civilian version that belongs to one of the air crew. At the back are some resin and cast metal kits of Austin K3 3-tonners, which were used by most branches of the military with all kinds of bodies.

/media/tinymce_upload/95c74ee3fb5b0644238a28a5f87a995b.jpg

The important business of refuelling and maintaining aircraft saw a variety of specially designed vehicles used on airfields. The Fordson N tractor, a tiny and fiddly Flightpath cast kit, was a mainstay of RAF and RNAS/FAA airfields, used for any and all jobs throughout the war. As well as a pair of Airfix Brockway towed bowsers, one for lubricating oil and one for petrol, I've also got another typical towed fuel bowser from Flightpath. The classic Albion AM463 is a Matador Models kit - I do wish Airfix would treat us to a 1/72nd scale kit, as they already made it in 1/48th. I keep wishing. Finally, the Bedford MWC is the Airfix kit. I've detailed the Brockways up a little: the oil bowser has had hose connectors fitted to the delivery manifold on top, and I've added fuel hoses to the petrol bowser.

/media/tinymce_upload/033b5b76413ac489e70f00020b1b3d0e.jpg

A typical Battle of Britain scene, with an Airfix Hawker Hurricane MkI of No 56 Squadron being attended by a Brockway fuel bowser towed by a Fordson.

/media/tinymce_upload/93d1ca6849374265b84be9e2ea98bd79.jpg

Finally, the all important crash crew. You'll have seen the Crossley FE1 and Standard Light Ambulance on this forum before, both made with Airfix underpinnings and Bits Box spares. The Crossley FWD is an MMS cast kit, which yielded some useful spare parts that found their way in the FE1. Technically, it's unlikely to have been seen on an RAF airfield before the end of 1940, but there you go. Finally, a domestic fire tender, yet another Austin K3 3-tonner. Such vehicles would have been used on larger established airfields to deal with building fires within the technical site, barracks and offices, and even local villages if required. That's why I've made a point of adding the ARP white paint on the mudguards and bodywork.

Well, that's my RAF MT fleet as it stands. I have three or four other vehicle kits to add, sadly not from Airfix. I suppose I really should start researching suitable Luftwaffe vehicles now. 

You are quite correct. From the Bomber Resupply Set I have a couple of pushbikes and motorcycles. I could do with a few more pushbikes, as they were used by everyone on a station. I saw someone had modelled spokes on a 1/72nd scale pushbike earlier, on another forum. My mind boggled.  😮 There's also the paraphernalia associated with servicing planes, like crates, tools, ladders, trestles and so on. Plenty to keep me entertained!

I keep seeking suitable pre-war cars. I've got a lovely photo that shows what appears to be an ancient Bentley with rag top and battered wings. Any sporty number would do, so I shall have a peruse of the Oxford Diecast series next time I am at a model railway show.

Flightpath do a PE bicycle set, complete with spoked wheels. They are a little 2D in appearance, but Tippex or gloopy enamel paint can be used to give some form to flat PE parts.

I may check that out, though knowing Flightpath as I do I would expect it's been designed with each spoke as a separate etched part and includes a fully sprung saddle.  🫨 😆

For a bicycle (or motorbike) being riden, I normally fill the spoke area with PVA.

I'm rather inclined to have things unridden, or at least with the occupant with their feet on the ground. It's a model railway thing, where I prefer to see figures not frozen in movement but rather standing or sitting in a more natural way.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some reading last week (AFK) Max Aitken (Bart) had a Cricklewood Bentley tourer (but please not the Amhurst-Villiers 4.5 supercharged) when he commanded the Banff Strike Wing. It seems fairly likely that he would have had it earlier, so one is possible on an RAF field in 1939-40.

Archived