apt pantograph help needed

Hi all

I have a hornby apt which as usual is missing its pantograph now I know they do come up on an auction site now and again for silly money but if someone could help me I have an idea.

I have a 3d printer I am only a novice but I would like to try and see if it is possible to print a new pantograph.

But to do this I need photos of an original one so if anyone out there is willing to take photos of the pantograph from all angles i will give it a try and if successful  will inform all you apt guys out there.

many thanks in advance

The metal parts were the same as the original class 86 one. many of the APTsI have seen still have the base on top of the power bogie and you can swap the metal parts over if you are careful (I have done it). However, the class 86 pantos are also going for silly money but that would probably be an easier place to start. My APT is in storage so I won’t be accessing it any time soon sorry. Have you done a search on the internet for photos as old auction site photos. Often come up. 

I simply googled ‘apt pantograph‘ and selected images tab from the result and got lots of stuff...then when I clicked on the Hornby image in there it pulled up a page with examples of the actual various Hornby model items (not all APT) linked to vendors. See below for the two pages found.

I didn't check if they were in anyone’s stock, as I didn't want to do all the research for you.

Rob.

/media/tinymce_upload/c720cf10b5524aca72ff99fe8f5c4a2e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/58c06c84534161125e203bfc436de2ab.PNG

The real one doesn’t look anything like the Hornby one!

I just googled Hornby APT Pantograph and loads of pictures came up. I have just tried to post a screen grab as I’m using my tablet so can’t save the photos but every time I try the forum locks up. I will try again later. 

• 2 years later...

Hello did you ever print this? Would be interested if you were willing to sell one! 

Perhaps when the new Hornby APT comes out I'll buy a spare pantograph and adapt it (as best as possible) to fit my power car.

Or maybe the arrival of the new APT will reduce demand / cause those silly money prices for the existing old pantographs to fall (fingers crossed)

Am even tempted to see if I can make one out of wire and old Airfix parts I have (have a bag of spares including unused undercarriage that could do the job) but would take long time and would likely be fixed into an open or closed position

I doubt the introduction of the new one will reduce prices much. When Bachman brought out their blue Pullman it temporarily reduced demand and prices for the Tri-ang version but then the prices went up again. For people like me who don't live in a huge house or have a full room at their disposal then the large radius curves are just a dream and we have to keep our stock that can cope happily with 1st and 2nd radius. Spares aren't made anymore so supply and demand means prices go up. Many of my older Tri-ang Pantograph locos (bought as spares or repair) are now running with Jouef or Lima pantographs as I bought a job lot some years ago And don't want to pay £40 plus for each replacement Tri-ang original. I also recently bought some good single arm pantos direct from Japan very cheaply off eBay. They don't look anything like the Hornby ones as they actually look quite prototypical and I don't know if they are still available but they arrived quickly and were under the price where I would have to start paying import taxes. 

I had the same issue with EM2 pantographs, they go for silly money. It looks a bit like an early class 86 pantograph, have a look and see if it looks similar. I know Bachmann did keep spares of the pantograph as I bought one for my class 86, about a year ago. I even kept the old broken one, because I thought it might be useful for spares. It was a bit expensive from Bachmann, but it was a lot cheaper than the prices I was paying for EM2 ones, and the one fitted to a Bachmann is really nice. 

Pantographs,  

SOMMERFELDT, the German company, make a large range of pantographs in both OO/HO & N Gauge, including a type suitable for the APT.  I have used one of their pantographs for my Class 71 DC kits model, which you can find a photo of on my thread "BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 87FT x 25ft" here in the General Discussion section.....      

The Duke 71000

Pantographs,  

SOMMERFELDT, the German company, make a large range of pantographs in both OO/HO & N Gauge, including a type suitable for the APT.  I have used one of their pantographs for my Class 71 DC kits model, which you can find a photo of on my thread "BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 87FT x 25ft" here in the General Discussion section.....      

The Duke 71000

Thank you Duke! I went for this one. Currently €10 for a pair, though you do have to pay €9 postage - still better than spending £45!

https://www.sommerfeldt.de/de/h0-einholmstromabnehmer-paar-000-kopiervorlage-636.html 

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested the pantographs arrived and they screw on to the pantograph fixing unit fairly easily, you just need a small enough screw (I used a couple from an old mobile phone)

Looks good I think!

/media/tinymce_upload/6fba73a8061164057cdc98f6581dcc27.jpg