Help with dcc lighting

Dsherwin

Hi guys,

I have 2 x fleischmann dcc locomotives and I can't get the rear red lights to work . 

When in forward the front headlight works (white) and when in reverse the rear lights are also (white)but I can't get the lights to turn red at the rear when the train is moving forward . They did however work when I was using the twin control dcc controller but I prefer slink with railmaster. 

Any help would be amazing.  I am assuming something to do with the cv settings 

Welcome

Depends what the decoder is as to what function mapping os available to,it and which CVs need to be adjusted to configure it all.

Look in the decoder paperwork for more info.

Rob

1. Tell us what decoder brand and model the Fleischmann locomotives have fitted?
  2. Tell us the current value of CV29?
  3. Tell us the brand and model of the twin DCC controller you were using when it worked?
  4. Is the same issue observed on BOTH locos?

I take it you are aware, that in most cases the red lights at the rear should (I believe to be prototypical) only show when the loco is NOT hauling any rolling stock. If your decoders are German to match the German made loco, then maybe they are configured to be operating prototypically and assuming that the loco is hauling a train and thus needs to be switched on via physical switch (under the loco) or via some other mechanism, possibly CV. If you can identify the decoder brand / model, then the technical specification can be researched online.

Note that Fleischmann is not a Hornby brand.

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the feedback .

Both trains have factory decoders 687303

value for cv number 29 is 6 

6802 fleichsmann twin centre was the controller the lights worked on .

At first not even the headlights worked but after changing the cv 29 value to 6 they started working .

The user guide for the Fleichmann 687303 decoder can be downloaded from here:

https://www.fleischmann.de/doc/an/2/de/BA_687303_200671.pdf

Note: I have tested the link above and it works for me. What happens when you click the link will depend upon what browser you are using and how it is configured. The PDF may open in a new browser page/tab or be download silently to your nominated browser download folder.

It is a multi-language PDF, the English part of it is fairly brief. The Fleichmann website stated that the 687303 decoder had been discontinued.

There is nothing that stands out in the user guide that I can see that would be an obvious candidate for the reported issue. The decoder does support Function mapping (see user guide extract below):

/media/tinymce_upload/a1a528f94e4a878331786f556add9f04.jpg

The values in bold are stated as being the default values.

What values do you have for CV33, 34, 35 & 36?

Do the rear red lamps come on with any other function number such as F1 or F2 for example?............If they do, then they have probably been mapped to do so via the table above away from the factory default i.e CV35 or CV36 is value 2 and not their defaults of 4 & 8 respectively.

Even If these values are as per the default in the table above, then I would suggest putting your affected locos on the eLink programming track and writing 8 to CV8 to revert the decoder to the factory default state, note that this will revert the DCC address back to 003 as well.

PS - Value 6 for CV29 is the value I would be expecting to see for working directional lights.

@pidder

The OP was using (when it worked) matched products from the same manufacturer. Fleichmann controller, decoders and locos. Now it may be that all of these items working together allowed the directional lighting to be working in some form of non standard way. Thus my recommendation to reset CV8 is a 'clutching at straws' suggestion. My thought process is along the lines, by reverting the decoder to a basic standard? configuration should hopefully (maybe, maybe not) make it more compatible with Hornby RM / eLink.

Glad to hear that it was a simple fix. It does look as if the decoder was configured to specifically match the Fleischmann controller and the CV8 reset has standardised the configuration settings making it more compatible with other brand controllers. Thank you for the status update, not every new poster bothers.

Too late now that you have reset CV8, but I would have been interested to know the values of CV33 to 36 before the reset was done.

Archived