Automatic Point Operation - DCC

RB51

Hi Steve - sorry to be picky, but what do you mean by "automatically" - not by hand?  The normal process would be a point motor (there are a number to choose from), wire and switch. If your layout is DCC then you can get a processor from Hornby which allows four points to be operated via a DCC signal. My layout uses Cobalt iP Digital point motors, that are wired for both toggle switch operation and DCC via my Hornby Elite. Quite honestly, the toggle operation is far quicker, as you don't have to look up a point number, feed it into your Accessories programme etc.  Two points can be operated by the same toggle switch - in the case of a change-over.  Hope this is of some help?

I should add that if you were going to go the conventional way of operating your points by toggle switch (Usually On-Off-On sprung to the central Off position), you would also need a CDU (Capacity Discharge Unit) - this gives a hefty shot of power to the point motor - you only need one for the whole layout.

Welcome Steve.

By automatic and the fact your post has been moved into the DCC forum area I presume you mean ‘what do I need to operate my points by DCC’.

Edit: BB beat to the reply but carry on reading...

You need a point motor connected to the track point mechanism. This can be a simple solenoid or motor driven or a servo motor. The principle is the same but the actutation is different. More of that later.

You will also need an accessory decoder which listens to your DCC controller and actuates the motor upon instruction. There are many different makes of these including Hornby R8247. This can run four points and other make decoders can run more than this.

That is the basic setup, but you still need to manually select your points via the controller. To make them more automatic you need software such as Hornby Railmaster which allows you to operate your points by clicking on a screen icon of the point or by way of simple macro (recorded keystrokes) programming.

Enough for now until you tell us more about your planned use of points. As a newbie you only get two posts in your first day so as you are on two already then it may be tomorrow before you can post again.

Rob

In essence all you need is an Accessory Decoder to go between your DCC Controller and your point operating motors, plus the point motor itself, plus some wires preferably with the ability to solder. If you can't solder, then you can use screw down terminal strips if required to extend wires.

As others have hinted at above, your use of the term "Automatically" is misleading. Automatically, infers point operation without any user input. For example a train moves along the track trips a sensor and the next point operates. I doubt very much that is what you meant. I am assuming that you mean operating the point by some means other than throwing it physically by hand with your fingers.

It depends upon what type of point motor you want to use. Hornby Accessory Decoders only support solenoid type point motors. For example R8014 under-board motor and/or R8243 surface mounted motor if using Hornby track. However, if you open your options to 'slow action' (more prototypical and less stress on the point moving rails as less of a jolt) then there are numerous non Hornby products that can do that. Including the Cobalt iP Digital mentioned by BB. And as BB intimated, the Cobalt has options for DCC control as well as a manual over-ride function using physical toggle switches. Gives the best of both worlds, DCC control when you want it and manual control if you need it.

Hornby only currently produce one model of DCC Accessory Decoder [ A.D ] namely the R8247 (required to convert DCC commands into electrical pulses to operate points). But the technology used by the R8247 is lagging behind the best of the rest. For one thing it is NOT a 'self learning' A.D. This means that it will require to be programmed (like a loco) on a 'programming track' connection. Therefore the DCC controller you use (you haven't provided that information) will impact on how easy or not that is to do. I suggest that considering a non Hornby brand of A.D that supports 'self learning', they nearly all do....will be an easier setting up and configuration path to take.

Just to give you a flavour of what is involved using the R8247, look at this previous post. It is based upon using RailMaster software (not compatible with the Hornby Select controller).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/programming-accessory-decoders/?p=1/

Or if using an Elite controller.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/programming-a-2nd-r8247-to-elite-controler/?p=1/

Wiring a R8247 and parts used (in this example to a Select controller).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/dcc-points-wiring-/?p=1

As you can see, there is a lot of configuration steps to perform using the Hornby R8247. On the other hand a 'self learning' A.D will have a 'Learn Switch' on it. These A.Ds can stay connected to the controller main track output (no 'programming track' connection is needed). You put the A.D in 'learning mode' by throwing the switch on the A.D. Use your controller (whatever one it is) to operate the A.D using the DCC point address you want to set. Then put the 'learn switch' back to the normal position.....job done......so much simpler.

Archived