Unrecognised 8-pin DCC Decoder

pd91223

See picture below - once it's approved.

I've just removed this 8-pin DCC decoder from a Hornby R2760 Class 20 in preparation for fitting a TTS Sound Decoder (R8118).

The decoder was previously not recognised by RailMaster (v1.69.2) + Elink although I was able to change the DCC ID ok and the loco ran fine.

I'd like to know what the decoder is for future reference. Any ideas? Any reason why it would not have been recognised?

PS Couldn't decide whether this should be in the DCC Forum or the RailMaster Forum - apologies if chosen wrongly!

/media/tinymce_upload/b29bd370fd6a7d7739a54603a7a64873.JPG

Thanks, Rob

Just tried forcing to R8215, R8249 or "Factory Fitted". I can write a new ID, but when trying to read back the CVs they all read as 255, including CV1. CV7 & CV8 are not read. I've tried writing 8 to CV8, but exactly the same happens.

Paul

The R8215 could not be read back from, reading back from these decoders wasn't supported, which would explain why RM doesn't recognise it and the 255 values.  It's an old decoder that was superceded by the R8249 due to its limited capabilities and problems.

The purple wire is never connected to the 8 pin plug because the purple wire is wire number 9 and there is no place for it on the 8 pin plug - simples.  😉

It sounds like the decoder is faulty.  I had exactly the same problem with the earlier R8215 Hornby Decoders where it appeared that the ID had been changed but it hadn't or it 'forgot' it after switching off and needed to be reset each time it was powered up.

Thanks Rog, that explains a lot!

... and RDS I had that problem with it too! The R2760 was only bought recently second hand, so I haven't tested it much.

Oh well, I'll keep the decoder to test other DCC Ready 8-pin locos that I buy before replacing it with a more up-to-date one or sound.

Many thanks. Paul

Archived