TTS Decoder non selected movement problem

MarsdenHall

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone else is a user of the Digitrax system and has this problem. I have 2 x Class 31's, 1 x Class 40 and 2 x Class 9F's that occasionaly without any prompting suddenly start moving without any throttle commands. The Hornby TTs decoders are the only ones that have this behaviour and I run Digitrax and Loksound decoders as well and they dont have this problem. I dont run DC on the system.

Looking forward to any suggestions

Peter

I have seen this behaviour whilst programming, using all Hornby kit; whereby 4 of 6 TTS fitted locos on the main have either shot off, or started their engines or flashed their lights. At that stage I did not have bus terminators installed and to date although I now have the parts I still have them to fit.

Not much help I know but it is not unknown. I put it down to a spurious DCC signal coming out of the Elite/Select when programming, which is why there have been previous recommendations to disconnect the main completely when programming.

Rob

I have been looking at the Hornby TTS manual and I will have to check my units tomorrow but I wonder if the default value for CV29 needs to be changed.

This is what the manual says "Bit2 (Add 4 to activate) is used to control whether the decoder will operate

on both DC and DCC layout control. By default both forms of power are enabled. It is recommended if only running on a DCC controlled layout to turn off DC operation, i.e. CV29 = 2 if only changing this feature of CV29."

Peter

Peter, you are referring to DC Runaway which can be eliminated by turning it off in CV29 as you’ve suggested. But it causes a loco to take off flat out, not just low speed, and can only be stopped by removing power from the layout. Does that sound like the movement you have, or not.  It’s not the movement while programming Rob is referring to.

One thing I’d be doing is contacting HCC to see if your decoders need firmware upgrade, without which they may act strangely with non-Hornby controllers. 

Hi Rob and Fishman,

All of the decoders were set for DC and DCC so I have changed all to DCC only. I have had the locos sitting on the layout with power on and so far no movements.

I like the idea of checking with Hornby about having the firmware but being 12,000 miles away is a problem but I will contact them to see what they say.

Peter

PS Fishman, where in Oz are you? I am in Hastings, Vic  

Just to  add my experiences with TTS and my system which is Roco. I have three TTS locos,and when on the layout together will sometimes display the same symptoms. I have some points that isolate sidings,and when two of the three are isolated,no problems.

The worst culprit seems to be the class 37,it can flash its lights,move off on a jaunt along the track etc.

I have just come to accept the limitations of the TTS decoders, I think Hornby had to compromise on quality to keep the price down, adds a bit of humour to my layout though. I also find if I am programming one of them on the main,one of the others will react in some way. My Gadwall ended up in the well of my turntable for instance.

Just to  add my experiences with TTS and my system which is Roco...My Gadwall ended up in the well of my turntable for instance.

Snap...

...been there, got the Tee shirt. Class 56 TTS in the well after a programming session ended up with several runaways, awry behaviour.

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/4ed185c83d836e47ba9b7b82ba161262.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived