LMS Duchess

Go_West

thanks Rob for the thought the paint job is done,  i think RAF people are a bit superstitious i worked with one chap that flew Sterlings during the war and he was.

/media/tinymce_upload/0a2de887a6555f566349671a57f3b0fa.jpg

With the under coat applied the detail might stand out a little better and that’s what they used to do years ago for the photographs with new engines

/media/tinymce_upload/882ce9bc0d275cfc95eac050c7eb5fa2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/cb66aad7df79f831273278ef395afd17.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f170b2243941ce9d393725f48e7552b8.jpg

Now finished in the dark red or Crimson Lake the black paint for the ladder coupling and brake pipe can be applied also the rear buffer beam can be painted red this then finishes off this end so I can move on to the front of the tender and paint this area in just black paint,

The next part will be to add the decal lining out hopefully an easier job than the loco.

/media/tinymce_upload/16a71de8c785057aa99ab6bbc07fef80.jpg

The lining out didn’t go too badly and after they had dried I sprayed over the complete body with some mat varnish.

/media/tinymce_upload/baa5260dcde359584ab189c4822782d2.jpg

After the varnish had dried I added the rear lamp and made up the removable Hornby coupling and the 2 buffers if I want to display the loco with out the Hornby coupling it can be easily removed and just have the screw link one.

/media/tinymce_upload/fbb04532aaa5bf99cf897590611da20f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f482fd00e0f102332f9482a511d4ca3a.jpg

Some coal is needed as the engine will not go far with out coal, first cut some foil a little large than the coal space.

/media/tinymce_upload/913a2348400de93fde418fed4af6185e.jpg

Then pushing it down well around all the sides of the tender and around the safety  valve and the water filler screw.

/media/tinymce_upload/9da83e2524a7ab3b8b61302760e3d3dd.jpg

I then added strips of cardboard around the edges of the coal space.

/media/tinymce_upload/39b570d7cf007027df68342de12031b5.jpg

Now some good quality coal this coal was anthracite very hard but comes up small and shiny. Crunching it up into very small peices with a pair of pliers works ok.

/media/tinymce_upload/bb01c8256d06f820dc72f93dbec28053.jpg

I use chopped strand fibre glass so after mixing this up i filled the coal space to about 3.mm thick to make a good removable cover.

/media/tinymce_upload/cb9aba6e0b027c3a9aab128463b21d00.jpg

Pushing the coal into the wet fibre glass and covering the complete area then leave it to set 

/media/tinymce_upload/48bfff6acf114e127df8db0fa13a318c.jpg

You can add a little more coal if it looks a bit thin in places and then run some supper glue over the complete area this stops it falling off.

/media/tinymce_upload/9c6b76df616316b83cc98c6e6d9e3985.jpg

leave the supper glue to set and once it is good and set remove the coal and clean back the cardboard to just below the body line and paint the edges with  black paint. Also the shoot in the front of the tender, I put some supper glue here and a few bits of coal which you might be able to see.

/media/tinymce_upload/49751a8629ab1f359958c536655395b7.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/75d7d1913f097458cc719ed2a9b5cd29.jpg

With the coal in place the tender is looking almost complete.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straying off topic for a moment - strange that you should mention Sterlings. A friend of mine, now deceased, flew Sterlings in WW2. His name was Todd Slaughter. Does that ring any bells?

I found this, which refers to a Sgt ‘Sweeney Todd’ Slaughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/39/a2763939.shtml

Rob

Ericm

sorry  that name would not ring any bells with me but my friend Geff might well have know him as I do not think there were many places that these planes flew from I can't remember the air field that my freind was at but it was in the midlands and later he did glider towing from Rivenhall in Exxsex.

we also had a Lancaster pilot and he and Geoff would argue about which plane was the better I remember him saying if you could empty a machine gun into a Sterling engine and it would keep going try the same thing on a Lancaster and steam and oil would be every wear

he also said they flew higher and did drop there bombs on Sterling some going through the wings.

will read the link later Rob having me dinner now.

Ken

WTD

Thats a lot more than I thought my friend told me he was on the thousand bomber raid which was a bit of a head line boost for the people  of the UK but Geoff said some new and some very old planes took part some never got to the target but returning with engine or other problems Geoff made it through the war he did the 30 trips went on to training but found this more dangerous than flying over Europe so returned to bombing one of his last jobs was when they removed the guns in his plane and he flew low over Berlin as the film crew took colour pictures of the damage from bombing. Later he would fly brand new planes back to knots corner I think it was for scraping

its a shame there are no Sterlings left as he told me so much about them I would love to see one I did manage to get him a gold catapiller with red eyes as he had lost his years ago and after entering his planes number and crash site they sent me one free of charge which Geoff was most pleased with.

Lest we forget them 

Thanks for that, it’s great to get it from the guys who were actually there. When I started working in Heathrow Tower in 1970 a lot of the older controllers were ex WW2 RAF. They had some amazing tales on night duties. 

Not all of the squadrons were operating Stirlings at the same time. 

Found this. Might happen.   http://www.australianflying.com.au/news/warbirds-recreating-the-world-s-only-complete-short-stirling

WTD

lets hope it does if my freind were still alive i think he would make the effort to go and see it he said that he had to take some USA pilots and show them his Sterling  one siad "what did you call this plane" Geff replied its a Short Sterling " the USA pilot replied I'd hate to see a long one.

we do explore a few things other than engines?

still moving on as they say.

/media/tinymce_upload/3f9e16e565af034f4e0ec2aa7f62aebe.JPG

All the tender needed was the connection from the loco to the tender and the water pipe from the tender also needed to be 4 mm longer once these point were finished off the back of the boiler had its detail added and before a steam test can be carried out on the track a crew to sit on two seats will complete the engine.

/media/tinymce_upload/4bc3b469ae2b255f49dcc8c92f3cfd26.jpg

The gauges do look a bit over scale seeing the pictures now but if I had made them any smaller then they would be to hard to make work? they will have to go

An uncle that drove steam engines said that when driving at night you could not always see the gauges clearly so when driving you relied on your ears you could tell by sound how the engine was running what the gauges might be reading and if the safety valve lifted you had full boiler pressure If the fire hole doors were open more light would be spilling into the cab, the other thing he said was outside the engine the darkness can lead to you not knowing where you are but by listening to the track and the engine running over crossings or points, trees and even a dip in the track would tell you I know where we are, should be a bridge then a bend and the station and start to reduce speed to stop at the station.

The gauges do look a bit over scale seeing the pictures now but if I had made them any smaller then they would be too hard to make work? they will have to go

I had wondered of you used bourdon tubes or new fangled memory wire to move the needles Ken. A stepper motor gauge might be asking too much In 00.

Rob

You often find that squadrons and the airfields they were sent to were volatile with some deployments only being for a matter of weeks or months before they moved on of were given new aircraft.

Some of the books I have read talk about getting the first couple of a new type of aircraft then they were taken away before they could get to grips with them and the squadron was packed up and sent  off with their old kit.

Maybe the Wiki history is as flawed as our collective memories.

I used to be able to recall every little detail about most everything but now I have to have a little black book for my several dozen passwords (yes I know thats bad practice).

Rob

Rob 

I have a little blue book, some things stay with the little grey cells my mums Co op number 8232 is still inprinted in my brain from times she sent my to the shops at 8 years old and said don't forget the number.

my friend Geff was moved from an airfield in the north of England down to Rivenhall in Essex he flew his plane there and did glider towing for some weeks and as he came from Chelmsford would fly over his house but could never go and see his mum and dad as no one was allowed to leave the airfield and he had even put his bike in the plane hoping to pop in and surprise them.

The things we were trusted to do in those days Ken...

I had to report to the pit office with my dad's tally number to collect his wages. In those days the envelope had a corner cut off so you could count the notes and holes in the main part so you could count the coppers to make sure the wages were correct. I well remember a bounty payout of £16-5s-9d one week in the 50's.

My aunt was a demon on the horses before betting shops it was all done out of the bookies runners kitchen door. She would send me to put the bets on, then after listening to the race results on the Redifusion speaker switch setting 2 (that will generate a few comments), she would send me back to get her winnings, worked out to the penny. I got to keep the coppers for going.

We also used to shovel miners coal loads into their coal house for 2 bob a load.

Rob

Archived