Recommended settings of Acceleration and deceleration CVs

WilliamDavid

Ever since I went over to dcc I never gave any real thought as to these CVs.

I generalyy upped them from their original values to CV3=8 and CV4=6, and left the TTS locos at 15 for both.

A comment from someone on youtube said they went for CV3=100 and CV4=50, which one heck of an increase.

I thought I would have a play, and set the values to CV3=50 and CV4=50, and was delighted with the added realism.

The drawback, of course, is fine control, stopping where you intend, and slow shunting work.

Do any of you use higher values, and if so, how do you overcome the other issue?

You will usually find that if a decoder has a shunting function then it will automatically revert the accel/decell rates to 005, as you can’t use extended inertia when shunting if you want the necessary responsiveness.

If you have a need for specific shunting activity then look at fitting a decoder with shunting function e.g. Sapphire. Other decoder makes may have this facility.

Rob

Thank Rob.

So Hornby's standard decoder does not give this option?

I have an A3 which is fitted with a Howes sound decoder and has something like this. I wondered what it was. Now I know.

So having high acc/dec. values can give a realistic effect, but cause operational problems?

I think I will keep to lower values, as I can't afford to rechip over 50 locos.

Or just use the higher values on non-shunting engines. 

And just a note note to say the Hornby 8249 is a very basic decoder with only basic CV adjustment to match. Then the TTS decoders are thought to be an 8249 plus the 2 sound tracks. Usually with decoders, you get what you pay for. 

Archived