Non Working Bachmann 108 Locomotive with Loksound V.4

Tomaso60

Hi Guys

Hope this is the correct area to raise this. I have a Bachmann Class 108 which uses an ESU LokSound V 4.0 chip. I have it set to address 108 on CV 1 which works with my Lenz set  including all sound CV's but does not work on my Elite updated to version 1.44 or with my Railmaster Pro.  I don't know if it worked with the Elite on any version before the 1.44 update as I have only started to use it with the Railmaster Pro which I couldn't get to work with the Elite before, until I found the answer to my issue on this forum 

I'm taking it that there is a problem with the Elite reading the LokSound chip as I have other loco's on addresses above 99 which work without any problems.

Hoping someone can help please.

Tom

There is absolutely no reason why Hornby kit should not control your decoder on that address as Hornby used to use those chips in their full fat sound locos.

RM-Pro will control your loco via the Elite as long as you have registered it in the RM loco list.

108 is officially a short address lodged in CV1. Try a read back of this CV using the Elite Menu - read address selection. Also check that CV29 is configured for a short address because the loco will only respond to either a short or long address as directed by CV29. Read the decoder in RM and tell us what it reports.

Rob

Every single one of my locos are Loksound V4.0 except for one of them which is a V3.5. I have Elite on firmware 1.44 and use RailMaster 1.69.2

I do not have and never have had any issues whatsoever programming and controlling my Loksound equipped locos with my Hornby controllers.

Did you by chance do your initial loco decoder configuration using the Lenz controller. If you did, my suggestion to you would be to factory reset the decoder (write 8 to CV8). Then re-program using the Hornby system. Hopefully this would get it working on the Hornby kit, then test the operability of the now Hornby configured decoder on your Lenz.

The only reason I can think of which might possibly be causing this is that one of the two systems is treating the address as a two digit address and the other is treating it as a four digit address, but AFAIK address 108 should be a 2 digit address on both.

That shouldn’t be the case given NMRA compliance of both systems (I’m assuming, not stating it to be fact).  However, easy to check, try with a 2 digit short address and see what you get. Or you can just check CV29 with each. Is it set for short addresses on one and long on the other?  The value should be the same on each but if one is 32 higher than the other, that one is set to long addresses.

Hi Guys

Just as a follow up to the previous posts I have now resolved the issues that I had running the 108 with Railmaster and the Lenz kit. I eventually took the easy option and changed the CV1 address from 0108 to 0018 and now it works with both systems. The reason for wanting to use both systems is that if I want to have a session where I just want to see trains running on there own I use the Railmasteer on a Scheduling programme and sit back and watch them run. If I want a running session where I control the trains manually I use the Lenz on Traincontroller which runs the routes and drive the trains manually so I get the best of both worlds. However many thanks for you help and assistance with the advice and as I said in an earlier post sometimes the blatantly obvious escapes you until someone points this out to you and it's at that point you have a Homer Simpson moment and just think "DOH"

Cheers everyone

Tom

Good to hear you got it working. An interesting solution, particularly that 0108 is technically still a 'short DCC address'. Short addresses are in the range 0001 to 0127. Hornby controllers treat 0001 to 0127 as being 1 to 127, in other words the leading zeros are ignored. Maybe your Lenz sees 0108 as being a four digit address, but is happy with a three digit 018. It does seem to appear that maybe your Lenz system could benefit from any firmware upgrade that might be available.

Following the link that Rog(RJ) gave, I found this:

/media/tinymce_upload/558bfd7659a813654e75b2403a54e44c.jpg

This would most likely explain why the Lenz does not like the 0108 (108) DCC address.

Archived