Sound Decoder for Class 7MT

SamC

I intend fitting a dcc decoder, ideally with sound, to a Hornby Class 7MT loco. The loco is R2457 and is dcc ready and tender driven. Can anyone advise as to the most suitable TTS Decoder from those currently available? Are there any significant problems with this fit?

Will Hornby produce one for the Class 7 locos in the near future?

It would be handy if some of you more knowledgeable types would compile a list of locomotives that the available TTS decoders that could be used on.

The latest Hornby magazine makes a start, suggesting their Princess Coronation chip on the Princess Royal Class, and a few other examples.

When the Bachmann V2 finally comes out there is no chance that Hornby will release a V2 TTS decoder.

Would the Coronation decoder be near enough?

For steamers if there is no exact TTS decoder I just match number of cylinders TTS has compared to the loco being fitted.

For diesels looking at which engine is fitted to the locos is probably the easiest way to get a reasonable match.

You may have to put up with the wrong whistle or horn but many are close enough for Government work as we used to say.

Rob

Thank-you for the very prompt responses, both sound like good advice. My research tells me that the Class 7's were two cylinder so I shall seek similar. A list of appropriate sound decoders for "other" engines would be helpful. I shall start my own but as a beginner with only a few locos, my list will be short. 

Looking at Hatton adverts in the Hornby Magazine special 'Express Steam' I see they recommend the following compatibilities .

R8110 Castle - Grange Class, Star Class.

R8116 S15 - King Arthur N15, Lord Nelson,                           B12.

R8115 Merchant Navy - West Country,                                                       Battle of Britain.

R8117 Coronation - Princess Royal,

Royal Scot, Patriot.

R8108 Tornado - Peppercorn A1.

R8106 A3 - Peppercorn A2, B17.

R8107 A4 - Class P2, Duke of Gloucester.

R8113 9F - Clan, Britannia.

I don't know how accurate they are, but maybe close enough. Any views?

By the way, the magazine is well worth buying.

Also, SamC, 

As this is a tender drive Ringfield type, it may have to be hard wired to the decoder, and room may be a premium to fit the decoder and speaker.

A feasible mod, if you are capable at such things.

It would be wise to test the stall current of the motor. Ringfields can be a bit hard on TTS decoders.

Thank-you for information on compatible decoders and installation. I have identified the Class 9F as a likely source of Britannia sound.

My loco is DCC Ready with an 8 pin socket in the crowded tender so I am assuming that any decoder could be fitted on that socket. My thoughts include rewiring the speaker so that it can be fitted in the engine although I have not checked access and space there. Is there any solutions to the Ringfield/TTS problem?

The TTS decoder, though larger than the standard Hornby decoder, should fit in the tender.

The speaker will, very likely have to go in the loco, and be hard wired from the tender using a low gauge wire.

A small Sugarcube speakers (Youchoos) should fit easily in the loco, the supplied speaker being a bit too much.

If your loco is running smoothly, it should be ok with the decoder. I have fitted a number of Ringfield locos with the standard Hornby decoder, which has the same current spec. as the TTS, with no issues.

Your post, and my findings, have prompted me to buy the S15 TTS decoder for my Hornby N15. This is not straightforward, as the 8 pin socket is in the loco, so I may have to hardwire the speaker in the tender.

All doable. 

I thought there might be more contributions to this thread, but not so. 

• 4 months later...

Archived