Hornby Select Controller - Programming Difficulty

Guest Chrissaf

Hi Marketman, welcome to the forum. That code is informing you that you are about to set Consist Address 1. You have pushed Function instead of Select.

If you have a look at your manual on page 31 you will see all the outputs the screen can display.

If you no longer have or cannot find your manual it is downloadable from this web site. I have put a link to the relevant page below.

Here.

R-

OK I said it would be simple, I have sorted that. I still have a problem though, the loco I am trying to program is set to 03 and I thought I could change that to say 05 but it doesn't seem to program from the Select controller it stays at 03. The problem is that I have another locoon 03 (and another on 01) can I not alter to 05?

Glad to have helped ( I assume I did ?).

Yes, you can re-code your decoder to 05 (or any other ID that the Select can handle). 

May I respectfully suggest that you take your time and maybe read the manual? You have sucessfully re-coded two chips which indicates that at one stage you were following the procedure correctly.

R-

The select controller doesn't have a separate 'Programming Output' it shares the same connector as the normal track output. It helps (for reasons I won't confuse you with) to disconnect the Select track output from the main layout track and connect it to a short piece of track (just long enough to hold the loco you are configuring on). This is called the 'programming track'. By keeping the programming track short and directly connected to the Select, you are ensuring that the strongest possible programming data signal can reach the loco decoder with the minimal risk of being affected by electrical interference.

By using a separate piece of track to program a loco, this also has the benefit that you then don't have to remove all your other locos from the layout. I take it YOU ARE removing the other two locos from the track when trying to change the DCC address of the third loco. When programming a loco using the Hornby Select, it MUST be the ONLY loco connected to the Select.

Although I cannot add to the previous replies, I note that we are slowly driftng back to uninformative thread titles, which make it more difficult to find it again at a later date.

If you had added two more words - Programming Difficulty -  to your title, it tells everyone what the problem is!  😆

Just setting up my new layout, but this is the first with DCC. I am having a problem with my Select controller, I have managed to get 2 locos programmed and running but trying to program the 3rd the select displays A! and not LA when pressing and holding the function button, can't find how to resolve this anywhere, I have tried resetting but still shows A! after reset, must be something simple but I can't solve it

For others reading this thread, it is simple to have good thread titles that inform readers, as opposed to quite useless ones.  Imagine you are having and conversation with a friend about it, going like this:

You: I’m new at this model railway stuff and I’m having a problem with my Select controller

Friend:  oh yes, what sort of problem?

You:  I’m having difficulty programming the address of one of my locos

Friend:  Oh, in that case you could try .......

As you can see, your first statement just led to another question, your second statement led to a possible solution.  So don’t title your thread “Newbie Problem” or “Select Problem” which will just lead to you being asked to clarify, title it “Difficulty Programming a Loco with Select” then people can get straight to giving you possible solutions. 

OK I have now got the offending loco to program to code 02 using a short lemgth of track as suggested, but I cannot seem to get it to program to 05 as wanted, nothing happens, I do not have any other locos with 02 so I can live with that, but why can I not get 05?

Have you tried resetting the Select controller per the manual.

Oft-times it cures all sorts of ills.

Will it accept any other address say any other single digit above 5 or double digits like 10, 20 or 30.

The other thing is turn the loco round on the track to face the other way and try programming again.

Rob

Archived