TTS Loco Causing Overload with Select Controller.

Guest Chrissaf

How are you connecting the controller to the track?

Disconnect the wires from the controller to the track, then turn the controller on . Does the controller still show overload?

If not

Connect the track wires to the controller, but disconnect them from the track. What happens?

Check your power track / power clip connection from the Select to the track to make sure it is a DCC compatible one. DC Analogue power tracks / power clips have been proven to affect TTS locos more so than non TTS locos.

If a power clip, open the cover and look inside for a component (either round or square) that is connected across the track connectors. If such a component exists (then the power connection is the wrong type for your DCC layout) snip it out with cutters and close the clip again. If a power track, the equivalent cover is located on the power track between the rails.

Hi Dadadam

Welcome to the Forum.  Please let us know the Make / Model Number of the Loco as your post tends to suggest it is taking more current than the 1 amp the standard Select Controller can supply.  A number of older Loco's do tend to demand a lot of current.  Of course this may not be the case with yours if it is a modern Loco though but it could explain why it works on the shop system and not on your system.

Eric, one piece of info Adam’s dad did tell us is that the short occurs when the loco is put on the track. Taking him at his word, it isn’t a layout short caused by crossed power connections or reverse loops. Rather it’s the loco itself. 

Consequently, being new,  I suggest it goes back to the shop. 

And just on recent discussion on informative thread titles, this one would be much better if it were something like - TTS Loco Causing Overload with Select Controller. 

Hi I am new to model railways, I purchased new loco yesterday and cannot get it programmed.

Each time I put it on track the Select controller shows the Overload Error message.

I tried setting it up on a short test track as recommended on this forum, same result.

I took it back to shop and it worked fine on his track.

Any help would be most appreciated before I go back to shop again.

Maybe the first time at the shop it was on an analogue controller.......just a thought. Or maybe a DCC system with a much higher current power supply with a higher OL threshold. Remember he did say he has a Select, which infers the 1 amp supply.

Archived