Triang class 31 with TTS sound chip?

Forum-1211528

I have three R357 Triang class 31 locos but these ain't DCC but Hornby next year is to release a TTS sound chip for the class 31! I doubt however that this sound chip would work with the R357 class 31 as it has an XO4 motor inside it although there's plenty of room for it inside the loco so will this work with the Triang class 31 or not??

We shall probably never know the outcome as Colin doesn’t usually feedback into the discussion after his initial post, which is a shame as I am sure we would all like to know how he gets on with his projects.

Rob

We shall probably never know the outcome as Colin doesn’t usually feedback into the discussion after his initial post, which is a shame as I am sure we would all like to know how he gets on with his projects.

Rob

Rob I spoke to Hornby the main problem here is many standard DCC chips won't work with Triang X04 Motors as the average motor of this type can be 1 amp as with this TTS class 31 sound chip this is based around a Hornby standard DCC chip making it incompatable with a Triang X04 motor so thus it ain't gonna work with this it would need to DCC this a DCC concepts chip available from Gaugemaster as for Class 31 sound I simply don't know but it won't be the Hornby class 31 TTS sound chip!!

Thanks for the feedback Colin.

It is possible to piggyback two decoders, one capable of comfortably running the motor and a sound decoder just providing the noise. This works well on a diesel as there is no need for motor load to control chuffs as is needed on a steamer.

Rob

This topic , not the piggyback arrangement, was actually discussed in a thread titled "Triang Locos with TTS Sound" raised by Colin 1st Dec 2016 with the last entry 30 Jan 2017, unfortunately I am not clever enough to put a live link in this posting.

Colin, when did you speak to Hornby?

The Tri-ang class 31 is an easy conversion to DCC, the motor isn't an X.04 as most believe.  It has an X.337 power bogie with X.247 Armature.  Biggest issue is the stall current of the motor which can be as high as 1 AMP when the motor and/or magnet are tired.  A minor alteration to one pickup., insulation of both sides of the brush spring and it's job done.

This is a DCC class 35 hymek with the smaller but similar X.3170 power bogie with X.410 armature.

The principal for both power bogies are the same.

/media/tinymce_upload/03719049d309ceeedbdb17a53f0d7ac4.jpg

Archived