Elite - switched prog track

Guest Chrissaf

If you do. Make sure that the DPDT switch has a 'Centre Off' position. That way there is no chance of a 'make before break' situation arising. Also, do be mindful that if due to operator error, you try and drive a loco from the main track onto the prog track whilst the DPDT switch is still in the prog track position. The front loco wheels will bridge the insulated rail gaps with probable damage to the Elite as the powered track output gets shorted to the prog output.

Thanks Chris, My normal practice (also in this case) is to have a seperate, not connected to anything else, piece of track as PT. The centre off position is a good idea. I was thinking of using a relay, connected to an acc decoder output or something.

One additional thought. If you got into the habit of leaving the switch in the 'Centre Off' position when the track piece was not in use, then it would be less likely to be left in an error position by accident.

Dear forum members, since my collection of loco's far exceeds the amount of available tracks I am considering connecting the short piece of non connected programming track via a dpdt switch to either the pt output of the Elite or the track output. That way, I can put a loco on the pt track, throw the switch to the full power setting and, for display purposes, turn on/off the decoder sounds and other loco efffects. When programming a loc decoder, it is simply a matter of putting it on the pt and set the switch to the pt setting. My twincenter can do this automatically  (optional) with an internal relay. Does anyone fore see a problem that I missed, do I run a risc for an Elite/loco sending smke signals. Any advise on this idea would be appreciated.

Ronald

I use a short fixed length of track for programming and a rolling road for both programming and running. They are both connected to the Elite Track nd Prog output by way of a DPDT centre off switch. It works well except when I forget to select it the right way.

Rob

In the end I used a relay, to make sure that the contact is broken before the other contact is made. I connected the relay to an output of the switchpilot, so that at power on the pt setting is always activated. As an extra precaution I added a clearly visible red (DCC on) en green (PT on) led to the same output.  Everything works as I had hoped.

@Chris: I found 6.4/3.1 mm DC contra plug that should fit an Elite's power supply plug, just 20 km away from my home.

https://www.muco.nl/dc-pluggen/41424-dc-kontraplug-31mm-64-buiten-0514051431400.html

Archived