hornby R2821 class 395 with DCC on analogue

jtmlk

Hello this is myy first post so I apologise if it appears I am asking a daft question. My son has a analogue hornby set up, for his birthday he got a hornby R2821 clas 395 with a DCC fitted. For some unknown reason he cut the dcc wires rather than pulling the chip out. The train does not work, it is a secondhand train so i dont know if it was working before this. My question is should this train with a DCC chip fitted work on analogue? and would ttaking the chip off have an effect on the train? Very lastly ive seen an 8 pin DCC chip on ebay for about £18- if I buy this and plug it in is it likely to make any difference.

Thanks in advance

No it is not a daft question. And posted in the correct forum section too.

A DCC loco that has a DCC chip fitted will quite happily work on DC, provided the previous owner has not disabled 'DC Operation' on the decoder. If the previous owner had disabled 'DC Operation' then you would need access to a suitable DCC controller to re-enable it again. If the decoder was still as per the factory default, then your son could have run the loco on the DC Analogue layout exactly as it was.

By cutting through the wires connecting the decoder to the loco, your son has completely disabled the loco from working on anything. DC OR DCC.

Since he has cut the wires, and as the layout is DC Analogue anyway. Then rather than buy a relatively expensive decoder to replace the one damaged by cutting the wires, instead buy a DCC Blanking Plate / Plug to insert into the loco decoder socket to replace the decoder. This is a much cheaper option and basically converts the DCC Fitted loco back into being a bog standard DC Analogue loco. The Blanking Plate / Plug makes the necessary electrical connections between the loco wheel pickups and the electric motor that have now been cut through on the decoder.

Now the issue is what Blanking Plate / Plug to buy. Being a Hornby model and originally sold as 'DCC Ready' then the socket will be a NEM652 8 Pin socket.

Here is a link for a X6236 which is specifically suitable for the R2821 Class 395 Javelin.

https://www.petersspares.com/hornby-x6236-pendolino-class-395-javelin-8-pin-dcc-blanking-plug.ir

TIP: As this is your first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. To reply, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Not 100% familiar with this model, but just be aware that there is a slight possibility that the model has TWO decoder sockets in it. One in the front motor car and another in the rear 'dummy' motor car. So you might need two X6236 Blanking Plate / Plugs.

If I hadn't just at the crucial moment lost my BB connection (router was going through a reboot sequence twice) I probably would have got the information above published before you made your last reply. Then you would have seen it and could have ordered two just in case.

One final piece of the jigsaw

/media/tinymce_upload/b187bc89bc6bc0aed5de010f28f9c1a1.jpg

Note the 'Triangle'. This shows Pin 1 on the plate. Pin 1 goes to the Orange wire that goes to the motor. However, also note that Hornby don't always follow this wiring colour convention on their loco wiring. The wires on the socket maybe a different colour. But there should be (hopefully) some indication on the socket as to what is Pin 1.

Just to clarify what Chris is saying, this is typical of the built in socket on the Javelin (DCC Ready Class 395)..this is the power car but the dummy car is similar.

You can see pin 1 is marked both by number and a triangle and it is square based. Don’t be confused by the J1 marking which only signifies where this component (socket) goes on the board.

/media/tinymce_upload/a7ed3ceea6cccc6b0a3b92ce34e1f4ec.jpg

The father also went on to say ".....he cut the dcc wires rather than pulling the chip out." this to me indicates that it was the wires between the plug and the decoder that have been cut. Also, the Class 395 Javelin PCB board that Rob posted a picture of, shows that the socket is mounted directly on the main loco PCB, so there will not be any socket wires to cut.

Archived