New to DCC

Gbh4

Hi all

I'm very new to all this and have laid out my first setup, which is probably ambitious for a noob, it's on a board that is 2560mm x 1220mm, so a fair size with about 4 tracks.

About DCC, I have seen the DCC controllers including the Elite which is a lot of money, but then I've also seen the Railmaster system with E-Link which works out a lot cheaper. I have a spare Win7 laptop which I would use for this.

Main question is do I still have to get the Elite controller to use the Railmaster software?

No you don’t need to buy the Elite as well Gbh, RM works perfectly well with just the eLink.  Through RM, the 2 controllers have the same functionality, the difference is the Elite has 2 knobs to run locos directly as well as running them from the RM screen.  With eLink there are no knobs, you can only run via the screen. 

If if you want to see what RM is like, just download the latest version from the link at the top of the RM forum and you can set it up in evaluation mode just on your laptop without a connection to the track.

Archived