How to remove "Warship" bodies ?

Jimbo1707820979

Thanks WTG and Ellocoloco. There is still a mystery, as illustrated in these pictures.  The pegs seem to be only decorative as the body divides higher up.   Unfortunately the buffers don't pull out in their entirety, so do not hold the body. Also the body is a very, very tight fit especially at the front and rear.  No room to insert a credit card and even the slim craft knife blade is difficult to get in and risks damaging the body.  So I am at an impasse.

I wonder if anyone in a Lima collectors club might be able to help ?

/media/tinymce_upload/6dc3522a0113472596b5e1646109b544.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/23ceb5c3bb2f10e499a50285a6f06d36.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/8c6afe1d4bd832442f19604063342df4.JPG

I have just bought one of these myself but haven't opened it up yet as I#ve run out of chips so will be interested to know the answer. At the moment I am assuming that it will be like the Westerns, Class 50s, 47s, and 37s. These just clip on as WTD says.

If no one comes up with the answer before I can get hold of a Chip I'll let you know how I get on.

Just found this 

"-the horizontal split is just below the cab doors,just outboard of which you should see a small circular hole,-this is where a small peg on the underframe clips into the body,you may have to gently lever the body away from the underframe by inserting a small screwdriver from below up the side of the power bogie frame so that it bears on the inside of the body..."

/media/tinymce_upload/73621a15d763e23cb5ee1024ebfa7fd6.JPG 

Just opened mine up!

The joint between the body top and chassis is located where Jimbopuff's craft knife is pointing in his above post and their are two circular lugs which engade into small holes just below the numbers at both ends (see my photo above)

Not wishing to risk damage using a knife  I gradually picked at the joint to get a finger nail under it near the middle then slid it towards each end to disengage the pips on one side. Then, while making sure the body did not pop back on I turned it over and repeated the proces to remove the body.

I tend to prefer the fingernail method as mibe are softer than Lima plastic and will grow back if dammaged (unlike a loco body). Only trouble is having converted 3 47s a class 52 and opened up a 50 and the warship I have run out of useful fingernails so will have to wait before I do any more!

As an aside, how far north did these go? would any have made it to Chester Via the ex-GWR route to Chester and if they did would this have stopped when the WR lost teritory to the LMR?.

Hi Jimbo,

I think Limas reasoning was that it is cheap. Just omagine how much extra man hours it would  take screwing up two screws (as in their GWR railcars) compared with puttint the body on the chassis and just pushing until you hear that click.

I have to admit the system works well with both removing and refitting bodies on the 47s and 37s 52s and 55s but the Warship is trickey but the worst sofar I've found is the Class 50 which is a very tight fit

• 3 years later...

I agree with the comments/advice given by 81F on here.

I have a mint boxed example and wanted to put it into service by giving it a light drop of oil on the gears, armature, and axles.

I found that by using a finger nail starting from the centre on one side of the body, I was able to release the central body lug, then work my finger nail to near the doors at each end where the chassis has a lug below the cab doors (2 per side). Releasing it on one side was enough for the body to come free.

Patience and the use of a finger nail is sufficient (and mine aren't that long either).

Hope this helps.

Paul