What Controller?

debe45

I was reviewing the Railmaster evaulation, ( After NOT spending a couple of hours reading the manual ) and jumped to the SETUP (when all else fails READ the manual) and was surprised to find that a SELECT conroller was an option. But if this is so, how can it be connected to the PC without a USB port?

RailMaster was and is written by the HRMS software company sub-contracted out to by Hornby. In the very early development stages, there was a possible Select development to add USB to the Select. This never happened. Hornby decided to commission the eLink instead. For some reason, HRMS never removed the configuration set-up option for the Select from the RailMaster software.

So your presumption that SELECT is not a valid RailMaster option is correct.

The only way that a Select can be used in conjunction with RailMaster, is when the Elite controller (rather than the eLink) is used to control RailMaster and the Select is in 'Walkabout' mode from the Elite.

I know this works because it is the system I use.

The Select only has an RJ11/12 Xpressnet port so cannot talk to a PC direct via USB, only as RDS has said when in Walkabout mode to an Elite, which does have a USB connection. I also use a W/A Select with RM and it works fine provided you stick within the Select addressing limits for locos (1-59) and accessories (61-99).

As Chris said it is probably a left over in the RM spec from a long forgotten PC capable Select.

Rob

Archived