Adding a different train set

Gbh4

Hi

Really basic question this one, but I’ve searched for the last hour and can see no way of doing it.

I’ve got my track layout finished, bus done, dropper to track and cable to e-link all done. I added my virgin trains pendolino set and can move the train via the software all ok.

But, I’ve now got the east coast Pullman set that I want to test and can see no way in the software of removing the virgin train set and adding the east coast set. I can see how you add other trains, but how do you completely remove a set/layout and add a new one?

Thanks!

I’m trying to test the 2 east coast Pullman trains before reprogramming them to a different address number. I thought it may have just been easier to add the whole train set, but I can’t find that option it brought up when you initially install the program.

i also have no instructions for the east coast set so no idea what address the two trains have. I know 3 is default but they can’t both be 3.

Can you be a bit more specific.

The way you have phrased your query infers that you want to load in a different track plan. Either the track layout (plan) that comes with a Pendolino set, or a track layout (plan) that comes with the East Coast Pullman set.

Surely, your physical track layout is the same whatever trains you run on it. Thus only one track plan is appropriate.

In RailMaster you can either use the inbuilt track plans (if the same as your physical track layout) or you can create your own track plan using RailMaster 'Track Designer'. Each track plan will have a file name ending in ".pln". If you have created a custom track plan of your own, then you save the track plan with a name of your own that is unique to you. Whatever you do, do not modify one of Hornby's inbuilt track plans and save your modifications using the original Hornby track plan name. If you do that, then your modifications will be over written and the plan returned to the Hornby default the next time that RM is updated.

In the track designer window, there is a pull down box in the lower left corner. All track plans that have been saved with the ".pln" file extension will be listed there (note that the pull down box is scrollable to show more names). If it is one of these plans that you want to load into RailMaster when it starts up to show on screen, then you choose that in the RailMaster 'System Settings' screen.

/media/tinymce_upload/d9bc314dbb11fd40a29eea5be18848e3.jpg

If your query has got nothing to do with track plans and is all about showing & choosing locomotives to control. Then you have to add all your locos into the RailMaster locomotive roster manually, using the RailMaster 'Locomotive Setting' screen.

/media/tinymce_upload/55107f2a902efa5969965a98f2c1116b.jpg

EDIT: Having now written my comments above and re-read your original query a few more times plus your later additions, I think I am beginning to see what you might be alluding to as being your issue. When you chose the pre-configured set to load at start up (during initial installation), RailMaster automatically sets up the 'locos in the set' in the RailMaster loco list (roster). If you chose a different set to load at 'start up', then the loco list roster will show the locos for that pre-configured set instead.

These pre-configured sets in RailMaster are just a convenient 'get you started' configuration option in RailMaster. You have to customise RailMaster to your own specific scenario. This involves a fairly significant amount of manual configuration, particularly if you have a larger number of locos. The pre-configured sets are for users who only have one set and who may not even add any further locos to it. If you are using locos from multiple sets, then you need to treat the locos in question as being individual locos (in effect ignoring that they are from a set) and add them manually.

Adding a loco from the Hornby database is covered in a 'step by step' tutorial in this previous thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/loco-registration/?p=1

All the loco information is held in a single RailMaster database file [resource.mdb]. Thus all the locos that you have, whether from sets or not, have to be configured so that they are entered in the resource.mdb database.

I thought it may have just been easier to add the whole train set, but I can’t find that option it brought up when you initially install the program.

If that option is anywhere to be found (not sure if it is or not) you will find it in the 'System Settings' screen as the "Start up track" option. See my first image above.

Thanks Chris, I knew you would be here soon with the answer!

I've now got my head around it all. I was trying to simply add the trains from the R1097 East Coast Pullman set to try and get them working. But after a bit of trial and error I found out the one train had been changed to 0002 and the other 0001. The one on 0001 I wasn't sure it was that as it was very temporamental, so connected it to my bit of programming track, changed it to 0004 and all was ok.

I do have one issue in that a short circuit appears when my trains go over points. I have all those little clips in the points. I do have a couple of pieces of track missing which I am awaiting to arrive, could that be the cause?

Lastly, when trying to design and save a new track plan, it tells me I have to give the track plan a name to save it, but I can't see where you do that. There is a little white box in the top right, but clicking that does nothing.

Thanks again!

Lastly, when trying to design and save a new track plan, it tells me I have to give the track plan a name to save it, but I can't see where you do that.

Yes that is not super clear how you do that. But it is very simple when you know how.

Once you have got your track design complete. You type in the name you want to give it in the lower left box highlighted in yellow. This box will either be a blank white box if the plan is a complete new design OR there will be the name of the plan that was loaded to edit. So if the box is not blank, just delete and over-write the new name. You do not need to type in the .pln extension. RailMaster will add this automatically. Once happy, click the green tick and the plan will be saved with the name you have just typed in.

/media/tinymce_upload/98d0a1a2597b05c0ec02d859144d328e.jpg

I do have one issue in that a short circuit appears when my trains go over points. I have all those little clips in the points. I do have a couple of pieces of track missing which I am awaiting to arrive, could that be the cause?

Would need to know more detail about the track design and these missing parts?. More likely to be a specific point issue due to rolling stock wheel 'back to back' measurements being out of specification. This is a fairly common 'short circuit' issue with Hornby rolling stock and points.

Archived