Using Points Decoder and Surface Mount Points

Disco

Hi

How easy is it to install one of these surface point motors? Is it easier to have the track unpinned to the board?

I'm looking to install four, so any tips would be great. A video/walktrough would even better - I know there is a thread

about Surface Motors/Points but cant find it, so a link as well would be brilliant

Dave

I have some surface mount point motors installed. At the time that I bought them the hornby model was not released so they are PL-11.

I put a small blob of glue under the motor to hold it in place when I installed it. the idea was that I would come

back and tack it into place. quite a few years later I have not got around to tacking the motors into place and all is well.

right/wrong - this has worked well for me.

there was initially a lot of discussion about problems getting the hornby

motors to work reliably. nothing much heard on this in recent times.

Hi Disco

These are easy to install.

Firstly place the motor on the point and ensure it is operating smoothly. If tight raise by placing a small bit of cardboard underneath.

Drill a hole at the rear for the wires to go through. It is

wise at this point to extend the cables to length required to reach the decoder

Push the wires through the hole and place motor in position. Screw this down, but not too tight.

Hopes this helps

Dave

Hi Disco
I would just add that there is the possibility of the pin on the point tie bar fouling on the Hornby surface point motor housing, thus restricting actuation.It is simple to file the pin and make it flush with the point motor link. Alignmet

is critical and as previously stated do not screw down too tightly.

If using Peco surface motors with Hornby points then you will find the tie bar pin smaller than the hole in the Peco PM arm. The brass joiner provided with Hornby Mk2 under-floor PMs

extension pin is just the right Inside Diam - Outside Diam to match the two together. Just crop the joiner to length and use a drop of glue to attach it to either PM or point tie bar.
Rob

Disco
Forgot to mention Hornby and Peco motors use different wire colour coding so be aware when connecting up. The code is published elsewhere on many forums so do a search.

The other thing is if you want to use points direction indicators

on your control panel by way of a switch on the points it is possible to glue a Peco PL-13 switch (normally attached to a Mk2 PM) to the underside of a point and use a Hornby track pin to connect the tie bar to the switch. This of course requires a rebate

in your trackbed to suit.
Rob

Disco
Forgot to mention Hornby and Peco motors use different wire colour coding so be aware when connecting up. The code is published elsewhere on many forums so do a search.

The other thing is if you want to use points direction indicators

on your control panel by way of a switch on the points it is possible to glue a Peco PL-13 switch (normally attached to a Mk2 PM) to the underside of a point and use a Hornby track pin to connect the tie bar to the switch. This of course requires a rebate

in your trackbed to suit.
Rob

Archived