DCC Concepts DCD-ADS-8SX

Gbh4

One issue though, it says to use 32 x .2 cable which I’ve got,  but I’m finding the wire connection points on the 8SX to be so tiny it’s hard getting the cable in. I can’t imagine the difficulty of trying to get two of these cables into one point!

It's quite simple really.

Use a couple of connectors to terminate your 32 x .2 cable, then join the connector to your decoder via short lengths (100mm) of 16 x .2 cable.

Thank you Norman. As you can tell I am new to all this, so grateful for the help.

Does anyone know any UK high street places that sell this? Can’t find any on screwfix website, but just wondered if the diy places did it?

You could use bog standard Electrical 3 amp termination strips (screw down and cut to length) but these would be a bit bulky and unsightly (only an issue, if visible on view and that bothers you). My preference would be to solder the two 32/0.2mm wires to the short length of 16/0.2mm wire and cover the twisted soldered joint with heat shrink sleeving. Soldering gives the most reliable connection and at the same time a relatively (compared to a terminal strip) sleek unobtrusive joint.

Electrical 3 Amp terminal strip can be bought online or over the counter in most DIY stores (for example B&Q. Homebase, Wickes etc) or in any electrical wholesaler / retailer [screwfix code 25545 for a pack of 10 strips].

/media/tinymce_upload/7966be00513c6302716c0eee4055957d.jpg

OR search "Heat Shrink Sleeving" on eBay.

If you have never soldered, then review my 'How To Solder' tutorial here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-to-solder-for-model-railways/?p=1

Thanks again.

I’ve got an issue with the first motor I have connected to the 8SX. It’s all setup as per the guide, but when I press the red button, all I hear is a click. The green button correctly moves the point, but the red button just gives a click noise. I’ve put the point to set again and sent the commands to the unit again, but it is still the same.

I’ve also removed the cables from the 8SX that go to the motor and tested directly to a power source and the motor moves the point correctly in both directions. So it’s not the motor. I’m guessing an issue with the configuration or the 8SX?

You haven't stated what brand of Solenoid point motors you are using. Peco point motors and Hornby point motors use the same Red Green Black colours but in a different wiring configuration. Hornby use the 'Black' wire as common return, whereas Peco use the 'Green' wire as common return.

It's possible that you may have cross-wired the point motor to the accessory decoder output. This results in a situation that matches exactly your stated symptoms if one of the coil wires is crossed with the common return wire. This previous post explains it [5th post down on the page]. Note however that the post was written for Hornby point products, but the principle is the same with the ADS-SX.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/surface-point-motors/?p=1

In the drawing in the post above. Schematic C results in the point motor working in one direction only, whilst Schematic D can result in the 'click' you are hearing. Schematics A & B represent the point motor wired correctly.

You must have been working very quickly indeed. Your post above appeared whilst I was still editing my reply on the previous page.

Another satisfied customer.......

• 2 weeks later...

To update this, I've been slowly wiring in the 8 motors to the 8SX and have an issue somewhere. I've correctly wired the points, programmed them correctly in RM, but when activating 3 out of the 8 do not work. All I here is the 8SX clicking and the points do not move.

I've then moved the wiring to a different connection on the 8SX and it works. So I know it isn't the motor or the wiring. Are these prone to having some of the 8 points just not working? Or is there something else going on here? 

Thanks

If it were me I'd try putting a motor that I know works on the outlet that is suspect. You will then be proving whether it is the motor, because the newly attached known working one - works, or the board outlet is duff because the newly attached known working motor - no longer is.

I have not got one of these decoders yet but the screw terminals look to be very small and close together. I don't mean to offend but are you sure all three wires are in the correct terminals? Given your earlier comment about wire gauge one or more may not be in their correct terminal or not securely screwed down. Just a thought.

I understand the old version of this decoder was prone to blowing CDU's - which are mounted on a "per outlet" basis - hence the new version, that you have, now being manufactured with a CDU discharge button which I believe is a blue LED.

R-

I seem to have a vague (and I mean very vague) recollection of similar posts about misbehaving ports. I might even be mixing up the 8SX board with other DCC Concepts products. What I can say with confidence from reading the forum posts, is that the DCC Concepts UK telephone support is very effective. I would suggest talking through your issue over the phone with them direct. You can then explain in 'step by step' detail the diagnostic checks that you have undertaken.

PS - The ADS 8SX have manual over-ride push button contacts for each port. One very effective way to test your attached point motor and attached wiring connections, is to briefly link the 'push button' terminals on the port being tested and see if the ADS-8SX fires the attached point OK. If that works, then the issue would appear to be more orientated to the DCC control side of the ADS 8SX circuit. This is definitely a diagnostic test I would perform before making that phone call.

Hi

Thanks Chris and Roger for the replies.

To address Roger first, I have tested the motor on another point and it works, then moving to this point and it doesn't work. I also have used smaller wire so the wire goes perfectly into the small connections and it is wired correctly. So I know the motors are working, I know the wiring is ok, which does suggest the 8SX possibly.

To Chris, where are the manual over ride push buttons on this? I will check when I get home but looking at the manual the only push button on their is the CDU discharge button. 

Many Thanks

Greg

Sorry Gbh4, I'm getting a little confudled now. I was suggesting you test the working motor on a different output port on the decoder itself - not a point. You may have meant that, but it is worth checking. What you have written suggests the point is causing the problem.

Chris will be back in a moment with a better answer, (and maybe a diagram) but each port can be triggered manually by push to make switches. Have a look at the manual/leaflet thing.

R-

Sorry Roger, I'm perhaps using the wrong terms here.

When I say point I mean the solenoid connection points on the 8SX not the track points, I should really say ports. So yes, I have tested a working motor on a different port on the 8SX and it works ok.

No problem - I figured as much but it was important to check. It sounds to me as though one or more of the outlet ports is defunct.

Wait for Chris to describe precisely what he would like you to test. I suspect a call to DCC Concepts may well be in order though.

R-

Only four of the eight ports are shown in the DCC Concepts manual drawing below for clarity. The push buttons are not mounted on the printed circuit board itself, they are wired in as external options. See buttons marked as (4) in the drawing below. There are screw down terminals for eight pairs of 'push buttons', one pair per individual decoder port.

Each pair of 'push buttons' use three screw down terminals in a row. Therefore without the push buttons actually being installed and wired. You would take something like a 'paper clip' bend it into a U shape and use it to briefly bridge between the middle terminal and one of the outer terminals of the three, then from the middle terminal to the other outer terminal of the three. Briefly touching the middle terminal to each of the outer terminals in turn, should manually fire the solenoid point motor in both directions respectively.

/media/tinymce_upload/28a935a31d380258b8995e614bb9dba5.jpg

The purpose of the 'push buttons' if wired in permanently is to provide a manual over-ride capability from something like for example a 'track mimic panel'. For users who like to have both manual and DCC control options.

Thanks, I'll let you know once I've phoned them hopefully Monday.

It looks like I've been unlucky here as I wired all 8 ports today and 3 do not work. 5 work perfectly operating the point motors as they should. The other three just click. Must have been a Friday afternoon build this one!

I've spoken to DCC Concepts (very helpful by the way) and will be sending the unit back to them. Unfortunately they still have no stock, so if it is confirmed as faulty I will be without one for a long time I think.

i had a similar issue with same unit doing the same thing, it will have blown the output on the 3 that dont work, i returned mine to DCC Concepts and it has been returned to me with those faulty ports isolated. Apparently all it takes is one stray strand of wire to inadvertantly touch another terminal to blow it, even after you think you have discharged it. I used the recommended wire thickness before, but now use 16/0.2 strand wire onto the board, feeding back to electrical block as Chrissaf described and that works fine.

Archived