New GWR HST set

JBAutosport

Hi Everyone!

Hope you're well.

Just looking through the 2019 range and I came across a well priced GWR HST set. 

Obviously, the chances are minimal that these are anything more than Hornby Railroad quality, but it would be interesting to know if anyone knows for sure what quality the set will be?

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/high-speed-train-set.html 

Thanks, Jon

As Nick says above the cheaper HST power cars in the RailRoad range will be from the Lima moulds even though the photographs on teh hornby website look like the latest Hornby moulds.   Nearly £300 for two power cars seems very expensive until you look at Continental models from the likes of Marklin etc. The RailRoad models are good value for money.

JBAutosport, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

The HST you will get in the R1230 GWR HST Train Set will be the very old tooling, as others have said before. It's RRP is £119.99, if my memory serves me correctly, so at that price along with one Mk3 coach, track and the controller, it won't be the well-detailed tooling, with the opening doors, etc.

The Hornby Train Sets today are more or less based off the RailRoad range, which does make me wonder why they are not branded as 'RailRoad'. Also in 2019, Hornby have announced in the RailRoad range, R3608 Class 43 BR Inter-City 125 HST Power Cars Pack, so I reckon this R1230 GWR HST Train Set will have the same old toolings.

When I say old, I don't mean rubbish, as it's a good tooling, but it just won't have exquisite detail like R3685, R3696, R3698, R3802 and R3808 will have.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@JBAutosport

The GWR HST set will contain a pair of HST powercars and a single Mk3 coach. The powercars will be from either the older Hornby tooling or the ex-Lima tooling. The Mk3 coach will be the regular ones.

There's no certainty as yet as to what tooling the powercars will be, the box art shows older Hornby tooling whereas the BR Blue HST pack in the Railroad range shows ex-Lima tooling.

Only time will tell, however this is an absolutely brilliant move by Hornby to get youngsters into the hobby as the GWR HSTs are something that children see running around today. So they'll be able to get a train set of what they travel on.

@walkingthedog

Well that's no good Brian!  😆 😉 😀

@JeremiahBunyan

I couldn't agree more with you. When this gets reelased, I think it will be popular. The HST is very recognisable and the GWR livery is reletively a new livery, so I do think this help it sell. Hornby have made a good choice, releasing the train set in the GWR livery. It's not expensive either, when you look at what it includes, despite using an older tooling.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

As Nick says above the cheaper HST power cars in the RailRoad range will be from the Lima moulds even though the photographs on the hornby website look like the latest Hornby moulds.   Nearly £300 for two power cars seems very expensive until you look at Continental models from the likes of Marklin etc. The RailRoad models are good value for money.

Sorry Sultan, but you do need to do your research carefully. The GWR HST train set DOES NOT show images of the HST from Hornby's latest tooling. It clearly shows the HSTs from Hornby's older tooling.

Also there's no confirmation from Hornby whether they'll be using the ex-Lima tooling or older Hornby tooling as yet. So let's not jump to conclusions.

- The GWR HST train set currently shows older Hornby HST tooling

- The BR Blue HST powercars from the RailRoad range shows older Lima tooling.

GWR HST Train Set (showing older Hornby tooling)

/media/tinymce_upload/59d4d45ef5946346a9281ad72c3db3dc.jpg

BR Blue HST Train Pack (Hornby RailRoad; showing ex-Lima tooling)

/media/tinymce_upload/8ff293b67992b59f631ec46987ab5ed1.jpg

Note that these have their respective pros and cons:-

- Older Hornby HST has a better detailed underframe, but it's overall shape is slightly off.

- Ex-Lima HST has a lesser detailed underframe, but it's overall shape is better.

This could change though, JB. They could turn out to be the same tooling. I would have this would be better / easier. These are just prototypes at the end of the day. GWR HST might have the older Hornby tooling and RailRoad Inter-City 125 HST might have the ex-Lima tooling, or the other way around. Personally, for cheaper production costs, I would say that the same tolling for both would make sense, but we will have to wait until both are released to find this out.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hi

According to the specs the GWR set requires rad 3 curves as a minimum,

The BR Blue power cars require a rad 2 as a min

Yet the top range power cars require a min of rad 2

It could be a typo for the GWR set  but if it is not a typo whats differant about it?

Having had a quick look at the GWR set it looks as the chassis is the old hornby version as it has no hooks on the coupling and has the two air tanks where as the BR blue has NEM Pockets

Thanks so much for all the replies, it seems I started off quite a debate ha ha.

It's decent value whichever spec it is too be fair, I'm sure it will sell well. 

Having just moved to Nottingham from my boyhood town of Plymouth, I'm pretty much obsessed with anything FGW / GWR now for the memories!

For what it's worth, in the description of the new Hornby announcements in Railway Modeller, they say that the GWR HST is based on the old Lima tooling.  This would be in line with some other railroad models such as the class 37 and 47, which I believe are both ex-Lima rather than the old Hornby mouldings.

• 11 months later...

I can confirm, if the outer box is right. Stamped on the plain acrdboard deliery packaging alongside the usual China via Thamesport are the words Ex Lima.

It looks pretty good, although the brass wipers on the pick-up bogey were ardrift when I unpacked it. The test track has been put away for Christmas, so its yet to have a run out and the standard carriage will have to be replaced by the new slicing doors ones to make up a "Castle" short form set, but it seems petty good value and doesn't look too out of place alongsidethe higher spec flying banana. 

Unfortunately there are still many uncorrected errors in the website technical specification details; for example, the new Eurostar train set is stated to be era 1, 1804-1869!  Minimum radius curve requirements are often wrong, as are the minimum suggested age.  All models should be capable of traversing 2nd radius otherwise they would not get through standard points.

GS