Brighton Belle Interior Table Lights

graham_francis

I am converting to DCC and have fitted an R8249 4 Function Locomotive Decoder to my R3184 Brighton Belle 1960.  I am using a Select Controller with firmware V1.2 (i.e. shows 12-30-03 when powered up).  The unit runs perfectly well in either direction but my problem is that the Interior Table Lights won't work as they did on DC.  I have used function 1 as shown on the Operating and Maintenance Instructions supplied with the unit, and also used function 0 as described on page 17 of the Select Operators manual, both without success.  Do I need to upgrade the firmware on the Select Controller (if so, how?) or what else might I be doing wrong.  Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hi graham, welcome to the Forum........I have just coupled my Select V1.1 to R3184 to check for you.........the answer is you have to hold the function button + the 1 button for a couple of seconds then the lights come on........(and that's with a Hattons decoder).........I had to try 3 times to get it right..........HB

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered a 2 car 1934 set on Ebay, brand new, expecting to connect my existing Pullman coaches from Bournemouth Belle. On closer inspection I notice that the connectors are different. The Bournemouth Pullmans take their power from the track individually but it looks like the Brighton only picks power from the driving car and is then wired through to other coaches. Does this mean that when running DCC on the Brighton, I can turn the tablr lamps on and off? Using RM and Elite.

Cheers

Short answer is Yes.

If you run both sets together eacjh with their own decoder using the same address then all lights in the train will be under command of both decoders on that address F1.

In RM you should list the lights as say Tables on/off in the description block at setup against F1. RM will not know you have a 2 car set and an additional set on the same address - it will just see Address # is the Pullman Train or whatever name you give it.

How you mechanically link the two sets together is your problem as the 2 car set and the Brighton set may not physically connect.

The Pullmans taking their supply from the track are the standard Hornby arrangement.  All the bogies are the same with a wiper on the axle which picks up through the uninsulated wheels on one side.  Because the bogie st the other end is reversed, so is the pickup side.  These are not under decoder function control, rather on DCC they are on all the time your controller is on.

The Pullmans taking their supply from the track are the standard Hornby arrangement.  All the bogies are the same with a wiper on the axle which picks up through the uninsulated wheels on one side.  Because the bogie st the other end is reversed, so is the pickup side.  These are not under decoder function control, rather on DCC they are on all the time your controller is on.

Fishy - I was assuming Spireblade wanted all his Pullman lights under DCC control as opposed to the OP who was just struggling to get DCC controlled lights working. hence Spireblade would be installing a decoder(s) to the always on set. If not then its a simple case of lashing the couplings together.

No problem with that Rob, just saying what he will be dealing with.  Consequence is he’d have to break into the light circuit of each coach individually and, unless his decoders are coming in Corn Flakes packets, have one decoder driving a relay into each coach or he’ll be up for a coach to coach rewire.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think anyone has answered this, but if they have my apologies. There seems to be two versions of the Brighton Belle, the early one and the one Hornby has just released. I suspect you have the early one, whose carriages get their power from the weird connector on the coupling. I suspect the later one uses more standard couplings and each carriage has pickups. On yours it picks up the current from the leading coach via the coupling connector. So you need the old Brighton Belle carriages. It does say on one of the websites (Hatton or Rails) that the later coaches will not fit the earlier versions. I recently went through this exercise with my early version of the Brighton Belle. 

Don't forget that the very latest Brighton Belle R3606(?) and it's associated coaches are not compatable with the ealier Brighton Belle models - the couplings are different, and I don't believe interchangeable. I think this was mentioned in the post above, but many have been caught out because they did not read the small print!

Archived