Hornby R6888TTS Vent Van with TTS Sound

Trainman1974

Hi all,

I recently brough the Hornby R6888TTS Vent Van with TTS Sound and placed it on my digital layout where I use a Hornby Select controller with firmware version 1.5 also I have the Elink running software version 1.70 and I could  not get any sound out of it?

Im wondering does it only work with the Hornby Elite controller as I saw it working in the BBC Four program about hornby and they was using a hornby elite to make it work.

do you think I have a faulty one?

Thanks, David.

Without knowing how you have set up the VentVan in RailMaster it is hard to say whether you have a faulty one or not. The VentVan definitely works with RailMaster. Other's have reported that the VentVan is not automatically populating the function buttons, and they have had to do this function manually. The VentVan will not make any sounds using RM until this is done.

Explain the set up steps (in detail) that you have undertaken in RM to configure the Van and we would then be in a better position to advise.

I tested the vent van with my select controller first and have not got much out of it just the first sound on the list bit it was intermittent then I tried setting it up in RM with a couple of the function button and got nothing out of the vent van now I've got back to the select controller and not getting nothing out of it now but when I put the van on my test track and let RM read the CV's the chip reads as a Sapphire chip

Intermittent sounds like a dodgy speaker.

Check the pickups are pressing on the wheels OK and are clean and that the VV is making good contact with the rails.

If no improvement I would be looking for a replacement from the seller.

You can also reset the VV decoder same as a loco decoder by writing value 8 to CV8 using RM. Select v1.5 cannot write to CVs but v1.6 can.

Some early vans only had one external tag, the other being inside as shown below but easily bent down into the correct place after popping that wheel set out for access. Tags should be at 45 degrees to chassis plane to keep away from the wheels.

/media/tinymce_upload/8a4e98794f9cd7c9a7d92cd3dfcf51c5.jpg

Hi all thanks for all your advice, I've had a closer look at the underside of the wagon and it seems that one of the small copper tags have broken off so the problem solved, I've sent wagon back to the seller today for a replacement but when I do get the replavement I will hard wire it into the track as its gonna sit in a sideing and not to be moved.

David

Too late now that you have sent it back but was the ‘broken off‘ tag not just located inside as per my photo.

The underside should have four wheel back wipers and two free tags to solder to exactly like the inside two that connect to the decoder socket, these wires are seen soldered in my picture

• 1 year later...