DCC Functions

Guest Chrissaf

I have a gaugemaster prodigy express and shift does functions 11-19 but i am wondering if anyone knows how to go over function 19 . When I try t 19 or over on a Hornby Vent van (28 function sounds) no luck !

Any member who has a gaugemaster prodigy express have the same problem.

This question has been asked before. The answer is in the latest Prodigy manual. I can't be more specific as I am away from home base and do not have access to my post database.

According to this manual PE only support F0-F15.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc01.pdf

Even the PA only supports F0-F19

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc02_2.pdf

Thanks for your help .Quote-

'To operate the loco functions you must use the keys marked 0 – 9 as stated in the manual, functions 11 – 28 will require the SHIFT key to be pressed before the desired function number in full. As on all units the LCD screen will only display up to F12.':

'Both Prodigy systems are fully compatible with each other but only when both walkabout and base unit have the PRODIGY ADVANCE 2 logo will the full 28 functions be accessible.'

I need  a Prodigy Advance 2 then ? (If I can afford it )

@RLC

Check out the NCE Power Cab which can handle 28 functions and is £175 from Coastal DCC compared to the Prodigy Advance 2 which is £305.96 again from Coastal DCC.  With the money saved you could buy an additional ProCab throttle for £135 😆

I have no connection with NCE or Coastal DCC only as a very satisfied user and customer.

Information re the latest Prodigy Express 2 and the Prodigy Advance 2 DCC controllers...

From the PA2 manual... 

PRODIGY ADVANCE 2 items have retained all the features of the standard Prodigy Advance system with the addition of F28 (28 loco functions) compatible. To operate the loco functions you must use the keys marked 0 – 9 as stated in the manual, functions 11 – 28 will require the SHIFT key to be pressed before the desired function number in full. As on all units the LCD screen will only display up to F12

From the PE 2 manual..

Specifications and Features Input: 15-16 volts regulated DC, 1.6 Amps. Output: DCC signal with 14.5 V amplitude, for HO and N scales Scales larger than HO may need a power booster, such as MRC’s Prodigy Advance District Boosters Maximum Current: 1.6 Amps Maximum number of Cabs: Use up to 32 Cabs (see page 2-4) Address Capability: 2-digit (1-127) or 4-digit (1-9,999) Speed Steps: 14/28/128 Accessory Functions: 28 (F0-F28) Consisting Program on Program Track Program Loco on Main Track Read Loco on Program Track.

If the Gaugemaster PE2 or PA2 are purchased then they both will support full Function operations. Older models without the (2) Squared detail will not support all functions. 

I can only assume it is faulty ?

This is what it says in the Prodigy Express DCC01 User Manual version 1.3 2015 says:

Controlling Accessory Functions To control accessory functions F1 - F9, press 1 - 9. To control F10 – F28, press SHIFT, then input the two digit function number. Only functions up to F12 will show in the display, F13 to F28 will be activated but will not be displayed on the screen.

Note that the DCC01 version 1.1 2011 manual only states support for up to F15.

So the question would be, do you have the earlier Prodigy Express or the later Prodigy Express 2. My understanding is that there is no firmware update available to convert from one to the other.

I can only assume it is faulty ?

This is what it says in the Prodigy Express DCC01 User Manual version 1.3 2015 says:

Controlling Accessory Functions To control accessory functions F1 - F9, press 1 - 9. To control F10 – F28, press SHIFT, then input the two digit function number. Only functions up to F12 will show in the display, F13 to F28 will be activated but will not be displayed on the screen.

Note that the DCC01 version 1.1 2011 manual only states support for up to F15.

So the question would be, do you have the earlier Prodigy Express or the later Prodigy Express 2. My understanding is that there is no firmware update available to convert from one to the other.

Yes Contacted Gaugemaster who say 

Dear Sir,

If this is one of the earliest Prodigy units, then it will not be able to access higher functions - the later models will control all 28 functions. Unfortunately we no longer have the parts available to modify or update the older units.

End of story  ☹️

Archived