R8216 decoder

Hi can anyone help I have the slightly older hornby points ( accessory) decoder R8216 , whilst trying to program it through railmaster its says something like this write only it doesn't allow you to read the cc,s I do have the newer version already up and running in the system ... I'm just trying to add this one also but struggling ! 

Regards steve

Basically the R8216 is a factory defined single option Accessory Decoder. It only supports 100ms pulse (Solenoid Point) operation. Thus the only configurable feature is the DCC Address. Therefore it is also a 'write to only' device with no 'read CV' capability.

Page 74 of the manual.

/media/tinymce_upload/53f50cf97384d47caf8599f79adab0b3.jpg

Page 73 of the manual.

/media/tinymce_upload/a3d77a08d323b1f20f1e8be84374357e.jpg

I would expect that in the pull down Accessory Decoder selection box (yellow highlight) you will find a R8216 option to select when configuring the R8216 (connected to the 'programming' track).

NOTE: For reliable configuration results, it is best to 'pre-charge' the R8216. Pre-charging involves connecting the R8216 to the main track (powered up) for about 30 seconds to charge up the internal capacitors. Then you move the R8216 briskly to the 'programming' track to set the DCC Address before the capacitor charge leaks away. If you try to configure the R8216 'straight out of the box' on the 'programming track' without this 'pre-charging' then the configuration attempt has a high probability of failing.

Thanks for your reply and yes it's in railmaster and did read somewhere that it needs charging up ! Did all that but still no joy !! .. I do only want to operate points with it but looks like I will have to buy another newer model !! The one i have works fine didn't realise there was such a big difference

Try reading it as a loco and resetting it by writing value 8 to CV8 just like a loco decoder reset.

You often have to charge the thing then try to program it several times just to top up the charge.

Archived