Odd interaction between two TTS decoders in different locos.

Guest Chrissaf

I have two loco's with Hornby sound chips installed. The one in the Flying Scotsman run fine, however the sound decoder in the Siver link only runs for about 2 or 3 minutes before the sound cuts out. The only way to get sound back it  shuts down the controller and restart again. I also do not seem to run both loco,s together with sound. They run fine togeter untiill I try to turn the sound onto them both at which point they both loose sound but still run.

Any  help or advise welcome.

Tony

There may be a clue to your problem in your 10th Feb post........

"I have a Silver Link Mallard style engine which is tender driven. I am trying to put in a sound chip but I am having  no luck and the chip gets very hot and the engine does not move or give out sound. I am trying to identify which motor is in the tender. Is it 3 pole or 5 pole. I have converted an old Flying Scotsman successfully which has pick ups up from left and right wheels on the engine. However the Silver link has the pick ups from the tender only. one side is from a pick up on the wheels while the other side seems to be via whole chassie. The motor  does not have screws into the motor which I believe you sometimes have to put in a plastic screw one to Isolate the motor. As I do not have the screw type motor and it seems to be isolated from the chassis, what  do I do. I am unsure what to try next. Is it because it is an old engine and does not like being chipped or is the chip I have been proviced with not up to the job On an old type engine"

Hello Howbiman, Hornby replaced the controller and the Siver Link now runs fine with the new encoder except for the sound Cutting out.

Totally confused now as Hornby does not make the EZ Command controller.

Which amperage power supply are you using as it may be it is not up to running more than one loco.

I think your problem is the decoder installation. The motor brushes must be proven by use of a multi-meter or other continuity device to be isolated from the wheel pickups. Regardless of which type of motor is fitted this is the cardinal rule. Once you are sure you have isolation then and only then should you wire in the decoder or its socket.

RAF96,

My apologies, It should have read "Hornby Replaced the Decoder" not the  controller.. The E-Z controller is supposed to run up to seven trains. I do not run more than 3 trains at once so it should be able to cope with the demand. I have tested that the motor  is isolated from the pickup and the chassis and it runs fine forward and backwards. It is just that the sound  cuts out after a few minutes running or the Scotsman sound decoder is turned on.

Tony

In that case Tony either the speaker is faulty/unsuitable impedance (should be 8-ohms) or the decoder amplifier is bombing out after some use. Try the decoder with the body off and minimal insulation and the volume turned down to 1 so as not to overload the amp.

The deocder has a finite load capability per the spec sheet so although it will handle the motor load as soon as the sound comes on it self protects, but that would stop movement and that doesn’t seem to be what is happening with yours.

If you can try another speaker to rule that out. Careful soldering at the speaker as the magnet will snatch the soldering iron and may damage the plastic bits of the speaker like the cone.

I always try to install a socket so that in event of problems I can switch decoders to see if the fault stays with the loco or moves with the decoder.

All else fails ask Hornby for another replacement. It would be advantageous to their repair guys to have the loco as well as the decoder so they can check the pair together. Hornby can be quite cooperative in cases like this.

Rob

Just noticed you said the fault occurs when you add the Scottie into the mix. That puts it firmly back with the controller and/or power supply not hacking the extra load - 7 trains claimed or not.

@Tony

I have just read the EZ manual and although it says the CONTROLLER can operate 9 digital and 1 analogue loco, the next paragraph says the PSU can only operate 2 locos at once, so it would appear that your problem has been the PSU all along. I asked you for the PSU output but you never came back with it. I suggest you look at sourcing an uprated PSU for your controller if you want to reliably run more than one or two locos together.

Archived