Elite Burnouts

Crystal

I have spotted on eBay and elsewhere Hornby Elite controllers offered at giveaway prices because one or more of the motherboard components has burnt out. As I'm contemplating buyihng a new Elite, that's worrying. I would have thought a piece of kit costing £270 would incorporate ample protection against such a thing happening. In what circumstances would any of the Elite's motherboard components be likely to fry?

Hi Crystal, welcome to the Forum........

I would suggest that the majority of 'burnouts' are due to accidental misuse.  It certainly was in my case, I inadvertantly allowed a live USB plug to touch the live track which caused to Elite to shut down but I failed to realise the problem and restarted the Elite which then blew the power Mosfet track supply..........HB

Also, allowing the 'Boost' or 'Prog' output to come into contact with the 'Track' output can cause damage. So as HB says, accidental misuse is the most common reason.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

One finger trouble that definitely damages the Elite is to connect the Boost to the Track mistakenly thinking it does what it says on the label.

Boost output is a low power signal to a remote district powered by a Signal and Power Booster unit, which repeats and amplifies the low power signal for use in the remote district.

Ditto do not allow the Prog output to conmect with the Track or the same daage will occur.

If you want to see the inside of an Elite and look see at the components then go to the Teradown report for Elite in my linked website.

Some of the components that fail are tiny smds which are not easy to replace unless you have done this sort of work before. E.g.

/media/tinymce_upload/a5282787ebd68f175e6fabee356c7274.jpg

Archived