Hornby Class 08 - Decoder wiring

RB51

Hi everyone 

I`m about to hard wire a hornby decoder into a Hornby class  08 i have wired the motor wires orange right grey left will i blow the decoder if i get the rail wires mixed up

Thanks for any help

Welcome

DCC rail polarity is always reversing at a rate of knots so it matters not which way you connect them. It is more important if you are wiring in a socket and may be fitting a blanking plate for DC use pending fitting a decoder, this will ensure the loco runs the right way on DC.

If the loco runs in reverse to your normal dorection on DCC then you would just swap the motor wires.

locojoe.

If you think about your question logically. If you pick the loco up off the track, turn it though 180° and place it back on the track facing the other way. That is exactly the same as reversing the DCC track wires to the decoder. So no, it will not damage the decoder.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Hi joe, my apologies but my tongue is firmly in my cheek here - I think Chris’s reply here should be framed.  He’s answered a technical question using one only para, 4 sentences with 6 clauses.  Such restraint has not previously been seen in years of excellent replies. 

PS.  The answer to your question is no.

Archived